Why on earth do people not bring their pets inside when the temp

gets as low as it has gotten around here? -20 and it's windy. It is way out of the usual temp wise so none of these animals are acclimated to this weather. I am horrified at all the outside animals being left outside. I finally called on two of my neighbors!!!

mamakirs

Asked by mamakirs at 8:16 PM on Dec. 15, 2008 in Pets

• OMG, I totally know what you mean. We have to pry our dog to come in the house! Shes an outside dog but when the weather gets like it is now we ALWAYS make sure shes in the house and she whines and crys to go back out side so we just put her in her kenal and then shes as happy as can be. At least shes nice, cozy, and comfortable instead of freezing to death outside! Same goes for those hot days....especially here in TX!
    angieluv

Answer by angieluv at 11:16 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• If they are outdoor dogs to begin with, they are acclimated to cooler temps (of course, I think it would be kinder to offer a garage or basement during frigid temps, but often owners of outdoor pets neglect to care for these kinds of needs.) I don't people count the cost of being pet owners. They get them as pups or kittens but pups grow up to be big dogs, and kittens to cats, and no one really wants the dog or cat, just the baby. Sad.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 8:22 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I would call animal control. If they are in a dog house with straw they are fine but if they are just out in the cold someone needs to step in and help the animal.

Anonymous

• I dont know why they dont, but I think that as long as the animal is used to the cold weather and has hay, blankets, and sterdy shelter that they are fine. If not I think alot of them would die in the winter?? Not sure though.
    asholan_07

Answer by asholan_07 at 8:23 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• well, animals that are always kept outdoors are equipped to deal with the elements. It's nature. What do you think animals did before house existed?

Animals that are allowed indoors are less able to deal with the elements, as their natural instincts and other natural things (such as fur length and thickness) have been disrupted by the unnatural environment.
    Anonymous

• Personally, I think it's wrong. I have pets for the enjoyment of their company, therefore I couldn't imagine leaving them outside. Regardless of if they are equiped for the weather or not, it doesn't matter. Would you throw a coat and blanket at your kid and say "well they are equipped for it?" I don't think so.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 8:28 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• If they are used to being outside and have a significant winter coat, then they are just fine. Dogs are derived from coyotes, wolves, etc... and they live outside all year round. It's just that if the dog is used to being an inside dog, he cannot tolerate the outside for as long as the other animals. To put it bluntly, he has become a Wuss. Dogs are very keen to finding a way to stay warm, finding brush or staying underneath fixtures.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 8:31 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I personally hate it when people leave their dogs tied/penned up outside when the weather gets real hot/cold. I think it is very cruel. I don't see how any dog can be equipped to deal with below freezing weather. Nature has nothing to do with it! Wild dogs were built for it, domesticated animals were not. I don't care what breed/size the dog is, don't leave the poor thing outside when the weather is too hot or too cold.
    I wouldn't hesitate to call animal control if I noticed a dog being left out in extreme weather. Dog house or not, I think it is cruel. You can't tell me that a simple wooden or plastic dog house keeps a dog warm when it is below freezing.
    Anonymous

• Anon 8:24 Before we domesticated dogs, they were pack animals and the pack would huddle together in caves or dens to keep warm. Outdoor dogs need shelter and warmth when the weather is cold.
    Anonymous

• My big black lab stays outside, but that's only because he won't come in the house since we got rid of the carpeting for laminate floors. (past 2 winters) It scares him. It gets cold here, but he goes under my house, and it stays pretty warm under there. We have a dog house for him, but he hates it. And we have a hay barn and a big garage that he goes in, too.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 11:09 PM on Dec. 15, 2008