Cloth Diapers - Anyone?

Hi, I am thinking of using cloth diapers this go round. Has anyone had experiences with these or have any suggestions on what brands to use? I have heard of Coolababy, Bamboo, Bummies - Do you know anything about them? Right now it'smore of a money issue for me. We moved into our house and the next week my husband was laid off - now we're stuck with super mortgage and my pay doesn't even cover all of it ! Yikes.

Mommi2Three

Asked by Mommi2Three at 8:17 PM on Dec. 15, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I used cloth diapers years ago and it also, wasn't for the charm. LOL Cleaning out dirty diapers in the cold toilet water made my hands chapped in the winter months, but hey, that's what we could afford and it wasn't that bad. :) I don't know the names of any of the diapers, but I had both, regular open cloth and also pre-folded. Sometimes at nites, when my babies got older and wet more I put the prefolded inside the regular for more absorbency. :)
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 8:25 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I use flat folds and prefolds- much more cost effective.. I have no brand preference- I just scoured the cheapest deals online.. Generally a dozen prefolds are about $40 (+ shipping), and I got flat diapers from Walmart.. (Kushies, I think, although I'm not sure)..
    Diaper covers, I got mine donated from someone on Craigslist, but I think Bummis are only like $13 each.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 8:34 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Lol lifeasinoit, that sounds extreme!!! I never stuck my hands in a toilet! I have been cloth diapering for 1 1/2 years and you couldn't pay me to use sposies unless I had no choice.

Visit this group on MySpace (or look one up on here), the myspace group has lots of links to different types of diapers, different brands, how to use them, how to wash them, etc.

http://groups.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=groups.groupProfile&groupID=104169421&Mytoken=E67D8427-7524-4E19-A67A4F131818FB9A227106131

Honestly, once you get into it, it's second nature.

Good luck! Also, feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 8:43 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• We use cloth diapers and love them. It's really not as much of a hassle as everyone thinks. :) We use Fuzzi Bunz pocket diapers and Goodmama fitted diapers. Check out some of the cloth diapering groups like Cuties With Cloth Booties here on cafemom.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 9:21 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I use cloth. I have a few All in Ones, A few prefolds, a few fitted prefolds, and a few covers. I love them all. They work well, and must be more comfortable for babies. We save, and it's good for the environment too. To me, its all a win win win situation!
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:45 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• We've been cloth diapering for well over a year. We started out with Prefolds and Bummis covers, because it was a money thing. I knew that, if I wanted to keep up with it (which I did), I would need to get some AIOs and/or Pockets to make things easier, so I picked them up, 1 or 2 at a time, and learned to watch for sales, and buy things used. Now my son has a beautiful diaper stash, with approx 10 Bamboo fitted diapers and 15 pockets/AIOs, and some covers. It is a very far cry from what we started with, and even from what it was at the beginning of the summer, as one of my favorite activities is to trade my diapers around on Diaper Swappers, so I never get bored with what I have, LOL. It has definitely saved money, and DS sure prefers cloth to disposables.
    mom2ljh

Answer by mom2ljh at 9:05 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• there are so many wonderful things about cloth diapers! they are,cute, fun, easy to use, easy to clean (no toilet dunking!) there are tons of diapers out there though, and it can be overwhelming! check out this great site Eco Baby Buzz for lots of information and how to's!

faiths13

Answer by faiths13 at 10:42 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• I use cloth diapers on my son, and I am very happy with the results. We use prefolds (don't buy the Gerbers b/c they're not very absorbent - go for the Chinese or Indian prefolds available online) and covers (Bummis are my favorites. I LOVE pocket diapers! I stuff them with two microfiber inserts, and after sleeping overnight DS's bottom is DRY! Check out Cottonbabies.com. They are good people and are very helpful if you have questions.

About the toilet - I wear the big yellow gloves that go to my elbow when dunking the dirty ones (no need to dunk diapers that are just wet), then I wash them off with an antibacterial soap. No bare hands in the poopy water!

We use 1-2 disposables a day, so a box of 100 Pampers lasts us 2-3 months. I put one on him when he wakes up b/c he tends to have his dirty diaper early (I know, that is cheating!).

Give it a try...it's not as bad as you may have heard.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 11:30 PM on Feb. 6, 2009