Job searching-what do you think?

First of all I've combed through hundreds of help wanted ads over the last 2 weeks. Obviously I'm not qualified for all of them but I'm getting no interviews. I have a nice resume and cover letter. I'm inquiring about positions I am qualified for, over qualified for, and even ones that I'm not quite 100% qualified for. Basically everything remotely within the range of my experience. I am an office professional with a good work history. I am having one of my previous employers write a letter of recommendation so I can add to the mix hoping that will help. Other than going "what the heck!?" my question is this. What immediately comes into your mind when you read something like these examples:

I am a foster parent.

You will be pleased to know I am subject to an annual background check as required for my licensing through the Department of Children Services. My fingerprints are also on file.

I would appreciate your consideration for an employment or internship opportunity within your firm.

I would normally say there are too many jobs out there for anyone to say they can't work.  Well what the hell is going on cause I can't get one either!!!  haha

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:42 PM on Jul. 2, 2011 in Money & Work

• Oh, okay. I understand what you are saying now. As far as there being jobs out there but no body can get work, most of the time there are over 300 job applications for one job position. I just found a job and I was told that there were over 500 applications and they only called 10 back for interviews. From those 10 they chose 3 people to fill 3 positions. So while jobs are out there, the ratio of jobs to people applying is such a huge gap.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 4:27 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• My first thought is that you have only been looking for two weeks. Give it some time. My next thought is that these two statements have nothing to do with getting a job-

I am a foster parent.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 2:52 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• How are you conducting your job search? Less than half of all open positions are advertised; you need to network with people in the field and industry you wish to work in. Have you had any informational interviews with people in your chosen field to learn how they found their current positions? How are you searching for advertised positions? Do you have a great resume and do you send it out with strong cover letters? Cover letters (and sometimes resumes) should be customized to the position and company.
    I do career and job search coaching; please contact me if you have any questions.
    Robin

Answer by rkoloms at 5:59 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• OP I have been job hunting for a year. I've submitted a resume and cover letter to 100s of open positions, most of which are in the field I am qualified for, some over qualified, and some not quite, but I FIGURE WTH. I've had THREE interviews in a year, THREE. Unfortunately I was usually one of 10 to 15 applicants being interviewed, and didn't land anything yet. Another downer, I am 1 of 300 to 1000 applicants applying for some of the positions (many places send me TY for your application e-mails - but please know we've had 300 - 500- 1000 resumes submitted for this position). It's SOOO DISCOURAGING!!!!! :(
    Anonymous

• Bank of America is doing a ton of hiring right now. The trick is you have to apply for several positions, and often so that your name keeps showing up in their data base. It has taken the people I know about 5-6+ online applications submitted to get an interview, and sometimes 2-3 interviews before they are hired. It helps if you know someone that works for the company too. It doesn't matter if they work in a different state- if you know someone, put that info in your profile. Also, make sure you sign up for their email notifications of job postings. Good luck to you!
    SherryMalcom

Answer by SherryMalcom at 2:04 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Try staffing agencies. They tap the hidden job market...jobs that are open, that aren't posted anywhere else. Even though you may start off as a temp, it gets your foot in the door at a company.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 8:16 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• JEREMYSMOM- I understand what you are saying. The latter about the background check I have added to a couple cover letters that state a requirement of the job is a back ground check. The statement , "I am a foster parent." isn't something I ever write on a cover letter or resume. I just wanted to get feed back on what would immediately come to one's mind. I am customomizing my cover letters and even have a couple different resumes. I have been applying for part time employment with my "office admin" type resume and my paralegal resume and cover letters are very specific. I'm just trying to find something temp while I focus on getting a paralegal position or internship. As for people being out of work. You're right. I know a lot of them. What I don't understand is how the classifieds, craigslist, career builder, etc are FULL of jobs from sweeping the floor to being an astronaut but nobody can get work!

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:34 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Have you tried snagajob.com. I get notices daily for jobs. you can customize your search. all of the above are GREAT suggestions, especially the agencies. I have my own business, have you considered that? Also what about personal assistant positions? Hang in there!!! Good Luck mama!!
    mkdirector2011

Answer by mkdirector2011 at 5:07 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• You should check out Beyond Mothers at www.beyondmothers.com to search for Jobs and view Work at Home opportunites.

Singlemomma555

Answer by Singlemomma555 at 12:58 PM on Jul. 9, 2011