Lice

came into contact with someone with lice today, gag me! How long before I know I'm out of the clear that I dong have lice? How many days should I check myself for?Is it possible to come in contact with someone that has lice and not get it? Other than visually seeing it how else will I know if I have it? How long dies lice that's not on the body take to die?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:01 PM on Jul. 2, 2011 in General Parenting

• Where did you come in contact? Did you share a hairbrush or anything? Sleep on the pillow? Add some tea tree oil to your regular shampoo (now) and shampoo twice and condition, you should be okay.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 3:04 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• If I were you I would just go buy the lice shampoo and use on your hair now, just to be safe
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:06 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• oh and the answer o your question 7-10 days
    mommy_of_two388

• Depends on what you did to "come into contact" with it. and why the "gag me" responds? Lice doesnt mean anything bad, its really common and a PAIN IN THE BUTT to get rid of, even if you are doing what you should to get rid of it. Lice have a life of up to 10 days and lay new eggs in that time, thats why you have to do the shampoo twice. My daughter had it and I washed EVERYTHING sprayed down EVERYTHING did the shampoo and it still came back, then I GOT it and had to do the shampoo on me too. I think the last time I did everything like wash and spray and do the both of us, Iit hasnt been back yet. THANK GOD>
    Shani527

Answer by Shani527 at 3:12 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Google it or take a communicable disease class for $40.00. That class knocks out alllllllll the myth about lice! I swear all the myths are CRAZY! Good Luck, Hun.
    loudnproud87

Answer by loudnproud87 at 3:23 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• usually itchy scalp is the first sign. If you literally see bugs, watch out. Lice are desensitized to over the counter products sometimes and a prescription is usually needed. Some Health Depts have the kits you will need. They are difficult to get rid of, you will probalby want to go ahead and treat everyone, as well as the house, carpet bedsheets etc. Lice can live without a host for approx 36 hours.
    another way to check is just behind the ear, usually where they seem to be the worst. If you see small white specks (eggs) on the hair shaft pull it down the strand. If the eggs will not slide all the way off the strand, then you definately have a case of lice. It is not a disgrace to get it though, just to keep it. By that I mean for an indefinate time. I aree with you, it makes me shudder!
    shefree

Answer by shefree at 3:29 PM on Jul. 2, 2011