What is the best way to dicsipline an aspergers child...

dreaminmama

Asked by dreaminmama at 3:35 PM on Jul. 2, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• i would discipline him just as i would any other child, and that's with time outs and a book. also give them choices
    lizzybee44

Answer by lizzybee44 at 3:38 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• like any other kid it totally depends on his/her personality. With my Asperger's child visual warnings and time out as well as privilege loss work best. Again these are all visual. I use charts, video games 'dollars' for rewards and privilege loss (A kind of correction currency so to speak) also a timer for time outs. He needs things to be very visual for him to 'get it' Keep in mind a chils with Autism is going to take a little longer to learn to control some behaviors. It is best to learn your childs triggers nad prevent those situations or teach them to cope before the situation arises. Such as I know my DS has a very hard time in stores, I think it is the echoing-giving him an MP3 player with music nad letting him hold the 'prize' (a car, apple, candy bar, w/e he picks that is small) we will buy if he can make itt o the check out helps.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:31 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• thats such a good idea. i have always done timeout but it doesnt seem to bother her at all and i was told to do positive reinforcements with her so no telling her " stop, dont do that, quit". so i have been trying to do that. she is just very whiny especially when she is asked to do things like clean your mess up or its bath time
    dreaminmama

Comment by dreaminmama (original poster) at 5:21 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• OKay here is my suggestion based on this. 1st. Make sure clean up time happens at the same time every day like clock work. Use phrases like 'First and then' you can actually make visual 'First and then' charts with card broad, Velcro and pictures. The first is always you less desirable request followed by something positive so First we pick up the toys then we can have dessert. First we take a bath then we will watch your favorite show. I use this in conjunction with the 1-2-3 magic method. being I count 1-2-3 then you either loose video game dollars or have a time out. After which we start right back on the first and then. Focusing on the 'then' My DS has a bath chart (hair washing is a challenge) after each good bath he gets a sticker. Every 5 stickers he gets a couple dollars to spend at the store.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:38 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• http://www.ehow.com/video_7338404_discipline-child-asperger_s.html

Here is some videos I found on this I thought could be helpful. My almost 7 yr. old son was diagnosed with ADHD/Aspergers. When he is being hyperactive he is nearly impossible to discipline effectively..so to help his brain focus we have him wear the only known medicated Daytrana patch 20mg that delivers over a 9 hr period. I am still learning to discipline myself since it is so difficult to control him in the mornings and evenings, he goes from one thing to another and makes messes constantly..that and getting into things constantly. At these times it's more like damage control. I'm working on writing a schedule for the daytime so that he can know what is going to happen and can expect that without too many surprizes. Also..sometimes it helps to take away priveledges and EXPLAIN exactly why that priveledge was removed. Good luck:) I need it too!!!!
    Heathercurlz

Answer by Heathercurlz at 5:38 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• i will try and use the first and then makes sense. at one point i did marbles in a jar and when they got filled she got a surprise. this is all a learning experience and i want to take in all the info i can. i just want things to feel stable for me and her. i feel like im always chaning my mind on things because things are not working but i guess its something i have to get use to.
    dreaminmama

Comment by dreaminmama (original poster) at 6:19 PM on Jul. 2, 2011