12 months old and still not sleeping through the night?

My older 2 kids were not this old and still waking up at night. Alex is 12 months old and still wakes up 1 to 2 times a night for a bottle. I give him milk during the day but formula at night. Last night he went down at 8 got up at 11 and then again at 1:30 for a bottle. Is this normal? I just keep thinking I cant have him doing that when I am due to have another baby in just over 6 weeks. My husband left me so its litterally me having to get up and get him a bottle and if I have him getting up like that and the baby is not getting up at the same time I feel like I am never going to get sleep.

mrssmitley1210

Asked by mrssmitley1210 at 4:11 PM on Jul. 2, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He doesn't need a bottle or formula at night, it's not nessesary at this age. My only advice isn't a popular one, and thats to let him learn to self soothe, if you rock him to sleep, stop and don't let him fall asleep with a bottle. Best of luck.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 4:16 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• I used to let him cry it out but since my husband left me I live with my mom, dad, and brother and I do not want to disturb them at night so I get up and give him his bottle. I dont get him out of his crib or anything I take the bottle, make it, then give it back and he goes back to sleep
    mrssmitley1210

Comment by mrssmitley1210 (original poster) at 4:19 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Do you do pacifiers? If so, give him that instead of a bottle. It will take a few days for him to get use to that, but eventually he won't wake up. I had to do this with my 22 month old little girl. It worked. He is waking because he knows he will get a bottle, not because he needs it. Doing it now will make your life easier once your new little one will get here.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 4:21 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• He never took a paci and even so at this age no way will I give it to my kid. I do not believe in it. I have heard stories from my grandfather who was an oral surgeon about how horrible he has seen teeth look because of kids having pacis for a long time. He really is hungry. He downs the bottle until you can hear him just sucking out the air in a matter of minutes. He also eats dinner an hour before bed
    mrssmitley1210

Comment by mrssmitley1210 (original poster) at 4:24 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• I promise you he is not hungry. He is eating because you are giving him the bottle. And bottles have the same nipples as pacifiers, so... Wheres the difference? You don't want him to cry it out, and you don't want to deprive him from the food he supposedly needs, looks likes you will be waking up a lot. Once your little one gets here. Being a parent is tough, and you have to make those tough choices, let him self soothe, binkies, bottles.... If you arent willing to change, then your little guy will continue to wake up because he is use to the bottles at night.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 4:31 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• I never said I dont want him to CIO. He used to until I had no where else to live but my moms and they get annoyed if my kids are to noisy while they are sleeping. Pacifiers I feel are a parents clutch and that is how kids become addicted. They are also different because he is getting food. He does seem to need it or else he wouldnt drink the whole thing he would leave most of the bottle full. I have done this 2 other times along with having a degree in early childhood education. Its just not normal for me to have a kid who doesnt sleep through the night by now. He eats just as much during the day if not more and is gaining weight and growing like a weed.
    mrssmitley1210

Comment by mrssmitley1210 (original poster) at 4:36 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Do you sleep straight through the night? Or do you wake to get a drink of water or pee?

Babies are no different. He's waking for a need and not a want.

My kids are (almost) 2 and (almost) five. My younger doesn't sleep through the night yet and that's okay.

(And BTW - I was a CIO baby and I have horrible sleep problems as an adult. I've tried everything from bad choices in sleeping partners to alcohol. Being alone at night is frightening. Going down for 8 straight hours is not normal. Adults rarely do that.)
    Mom_to_Skyler

Answer by Mom_to_Skyler at 7:01 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• As long as he is used to getting a bottle in the middle of the night he will continue to wake up for it. No one loves being woken up in the middle of the night by a screaming baby, but I think you need to have a discussion with your family and ask for a little understanding during the process of sleep training.
    katiemomNY

Answer by katiemomNY at 11:01 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• dd was 13 mo's old before she started sleeping through the night. She just fights sleep sooo hard. But once she started daycare she was too exhausted to fight sleep. She just passes out now as soon as I lay her down. Do as mcuh as you can during the day to wear him out so he will sleep more.
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 11:39 PM on Jul. 2, 2011