Agnostic theist

Is this what i am? I believe there is a higher power god/goddess who knows. I just don't know who or what it is i believe in. Or am i just confused? Im really searching religions to see. I tell myself maybe ill end up an atheist by the end of it but at this point i can not say that i do not believe there's a higher power because deep in my heart and soul i do. I was a christian and now people are asking me what i am and i feel for now this is what i am. Thanks ladies.

skinnyslokita

Asked by skinnyslokita at 4:23 PM on Jul. 2, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Instead of worrying about what religion you are, spend some serious time soul searching and deciding what you actually believe. Treat it like cleaning out your desk - if you like an idea, it goes in the keep file, if you're not sure about it, add it to the things you want to research more, and if you don't, pitch it and quit worrying about it. Once you become more settled in what feels right to you, you can look to see where you find other people who agree and can exchange ideas. If you try to do it the other way around, you'll be forever dealing with those things from your reject pile that people assume you agree with.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:36 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Tell them the truth - "I don't know yet, but I'll let you know when I decide"
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:41 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• You are doing what almost everyone does.. Searching for truth.. That's good.. I hope the answer comes to you.. I can tell you though that if you do believe in a higher power of some sort, an atheist you are not..
    Obi.Ren.Kenobi

Answer by Obi.Ren.Kenobi at 4:39 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• OP: I am in the same boat as you currently, and my family is freaking out too. My dad told me that I'm miserable because I don't have god in my life. He also thinks theres only one true god. He even told me not to research anything because "it's all bullsh-t". It doesn't make much sense to me because he's not a devout believer, he doesn't live his life "sin-free" nor does he attend church EVER, but he's deeply offended by my recent rejection to the idea of the christian god being the supreme god. For now I call myself Agnostic- not saying god does or doesn't exist. I love NP's idea about soul searching. Soul searching is good for everyone.. especially if you want to be open-minded.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:50 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• if someone asks simply tell them you are doing a little soul searching and don't feel fit to classify yourself into a religion until you've found one that reaches out to you again.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 4:52 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• You could be an agnostic theist, if you believe at least one deity exists, but think that this statement is not verifiable and is inherently unknowable (paraphrasing some definitions I've seen).

Also, If you believe in a deity that created the world but doesn't interfere with humans, you could be a deist. If you are just unsure of what you believe you could be an agnostic or maybe weak (implicit) atheist. If you believe in some type of divine that's impersonal but all in one, you could be some kind of pantheist (there are many types). If you believe in a personal god (or gods), but are just having doubts, then you could be a theist--of which there are several types (monotheist, henotheist, polytheist, etc.). I agree with the others that said, if asked, just tell them you are 'searching' right now or that you are exploring and learning about many religions & philosophies to help you figure out your own beliefs. Good luck!!
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:13 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Take the Belief-O-Matic  Beliefnet quiz. I know, it sounds stupid, but it's actually pretty accurate. If anything, it takes what you believe and gives you a list of faiths that best accomodate those beliefs and then you can research those faiths instead of trying to research every religion under the sun, which will only end up confusing you more.

Sharon

momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 1:06 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Oh, for crying out loud...

eye rolling

Sharon

momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 1:08 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• You should look into Deism. Deists believe in a higher power, but they don't hold much stock in organized religion. I feel that's what I am, maybe you're the same.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 4:30 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• i will thanks. Ive never heard of that before thank you for sharing.

skinnyslokita

Comment by skinnyslokita (original poster) at 4:32 PM on Jul. 2, 2011