I want to start beading (jewerly) as a hobby....

How much does this usually cost to start out? Also, what supplies do you suggest I need to start out?

supermama86

Asked by supermama86 at 4:30 PM on Jul. 2, 2011 in Hobbies & Crafts

• make sure you have some needle pliers for all the twisting of those tiny metal loops. check out etsy.com for ideas. don't be afraid to use anything. i like to get charms and buy two at a time to make earrings. also you can reconstruct old jewelry - look around at the thrift stores for jewelry look at the beads n stuff - break em apart and make new pieces. oh craftster.com is a good place too for ideas. don't count out making new holiday ornaments with your new interest...hanging shiny dangely things off the tree is fun too. dont be afraid to use those post's you get and twist loops into them. i even glued small beads and stuff to flat stud posts for stud earrings. check the glue you buy that you can glue metal to plastic ect... not all glues work the same and some need a little time to set. buttons make great stud earrings, go to the button department and pick out some you like if it has anything keeping it from - cont.
    odessie

Answer by odessie at 10:47 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Walmart has some very inexpensive beads, Oriental Trading company has alot, Hobby Lobby, Michaels, there are alot of places with great prices. I started with a 3 in 1 tool that came in a $9 starter kit and my husband's heavy duty wire cutters. I am now bead crazy and have purchased quite a lot, but for cheap you can see if you like it. I would get a starter kit that has a combined tool, beads, clasps,crimpers and wire and a plastic box with dividers to keep your beads organized.
    AntoinetteF

Answer by AntoinetteF at 4:41 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Thank you.
    supermama86

Comment by supermama86 (original poster) at 4:44 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• cont.. being flat just use a blade or cutters and make it flush so you can turn it into an earring. use your husbands tools if you have too - k hope this helps
    odessie

Answer by odessie at 10:48 PM on Jul. 2, 2011