New Pet

My husband and I just adopted a 7 year old mini eskimo. He is GREAT with my son, and great with us a big lover. He wasnt abused his owener loved him very much but she got into an accident and could no longer feed, bathe, or care for him.
But my problem is 1.) his barking which I cant seem to get him to stop doing and 2.) when hes eating something if you come near him he growls, today he actually bit my hand when I went to go reach for something my son threw on the floor. It scared me but I know hes not like that all the time. I dont know what to do to break that... He has never tried to bite my son or even growled at him but the fact that he did it to me was nervewrecking. A trainer told me I have to set aside my fear and just take food from him even if he is growling, but obviously thats not a good idea. Does anyone have any ideas or advice? My husband says we should just feed him seperatally and alone.
I also have a 1 year old papillon who barks when someone knocks on my door or walks by (we live in an apartment), and she usually stops when I saw so, but he doesnt.
on another note both of my dogs will run for the door if it is opened and if they get by us they RUN outside and dont come when called. The eskimo (dakota) got out the other day and ran across my parking lot, if it wasnt for my neighbor i would have never gotten him back.. What can I do to stop these habits.?
Thank You.

kduffy

Asked by kduffy at 4:38 PM on Jul. 2, 2011 in Pets

• We took in a dog 6 years ago that was incredibly malnourished and she growled during feeding times for atleast a month. After she realized she was going to get fed all the time she stopped growling. I would give a little space till he calms down. It shouldn't last if he is gentle during the rest of the day. As for the running out the door I'm not sure. Mine still try all the time and I have to drive down the street and have them jump in the car. Car rides are their favorite, till they realize we are just turning around to go home. Can you take them to dog training? Both of mine are small dogs, so they bark ALOT. Good luck and I hope the feeding gets better.
    AntoinetteF

Answer by AntoinetteF at 4:50 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• I read something about how its natural due to dogs in the wild haveing to fight for food he thinks it will be his only meal, so I am hoping once he trusts us more he will realize I am not trying to starve him but take care of him. He loves car rides bu my papillon hates them she whines and sometimes poops/pees in the car and shakes. When we first brought her home on the car ride she puked on me peed on my lap and pooped on my husband. Poor girl. Thank you for the advice
    kduffy

Comment by kduffy (original poster) at 4:54 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• I should add I am not worried about my son trying to take his food or get in the way of him eating because my son doesnt try to do any of that he is great with animals, but i am afriad of him walking up and trying to pet him while hes eating and having the dog react in his negative way.
    kduffy

Comment by kduffy (original poster) at 4:55 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Unfortunately some habits are there to stay. My dog just started barking @ strangers because we moved to a new house and our front window has no blinds, she also will bolt out the second it is opened, but thankfully she usually just runs to our car and sits there.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 5:07 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• would a shock collar work?
    kduffy

Comment by kduffy (original poster) at 5:10 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• We got our dog when my daughter had just turned 2. I put the dog outside or in a separate room with the door shut so she had privacy. I also no longer had to worry about my little one getting in the way. I wonder if the other lady was over feeding her dog and now he is missing that amount of food. Maybe give him a little more and decrease to the proper amount slowly, that way he's not aggressive. Just a thought.....
    AntoinetteF

Answer by AntoinetteF at 5:10 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• thats a good thought. I was thinking maybe he was doing it over the food my son throws because well its human food and its good. I separate dakota and my papillon (maebe) during feedings and when i see food is thrown because my papillon likes to try and steal from him.
    kduffy

Comment by kduffy (original poster) at 5:13 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• This dog is exhibiting dominant behavior. The "Leader of the Pack" is supposed to defend and protect the pack, but expects to get the choicest foods. Excessive barking is usually a sign of dominance, and coupled with the growling over food, would confirm that. You must become the pack leader in your home, or your dog's aggressiveness may escalate until he bites and hurts someone one. There are several things you should do.
    1) walk your dog three miles a day, the right way. Never let your dog walk out in front of you. That is where the leader walks. He must walk beside you or behind you. Never let him go out the door first, or up stairs first. You must take this position. This shows your dog that you are the pack leader. You do not have to DOMINATE your dog. You just have to be the leader. When you walk, vary the route. Dogs get bored. Been there, done that! Have three or four different routes and rotate. (cont)
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 2:41 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Walk briskly. Do not let your dog dawdle and sniff every blade of grass. Walking the dog a lot helps to reduce and eventually eliminate excessive barking. Being the pack leader helps, too. It is okay for a dog in a pack to alert the leader to possible intruders, but then the dog should be quiet. It's up to the leader to deal with it.

2) leave dog's leash on, and a training collar on, while feeding him. (Watch him). Practice setting the food dish down on the floor. Make dog sit and wait for it, not get up and "attack" the dish. If he growls at you, give him a quick leash check (tug leash sharply and immediately loosing it.) Do not allow him to have the food until he is calm. You must be calm and assertive. He must be calm and submissive.

3) Train your dog to sit before you open the door. Make him sit at your side, not in front of you. Tell whoever is there to ignore the dog at first. For more, see Cesar Millan' books
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 2:50 AM on Jul. 3, 2011