I know no one here is a doctor blah blah blah but... about this sprained ankel of mine...

So I sprained it 3 days ago at this point. Is is still s little swollen though it has gone down a bit. The bruising makes me cringe! Though I have seen pictures of worse... I can put weight on it I just can't move it certain directions. I mean I can but it hurts. It almost feel 'loose' or a little unstable- like I am going to re injure it if I don't have the wrap on... how long 'should' it feel this way. At what point do I get concerned? It's only been a few days so I expect it to not be miraculously healed(that would be nice) but how much longer should I expect it to feel as though it needs to be wrapped. (Or is that in my head)

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 4:49 PM on Jul. 2, 2011 in Health

• A sprain is terribly painful. There is connective tissue that is torn. Have you had it x-rayed to check for fractures? You can expect pain until the tissues heal, about as long as a bad wound would take to heal on the rest of your body. Feel much better soon.

Answer by Bmat at 5:02 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Sounds like torn ligaments
    Stay off it
    Sprains(muscle) you can walk on
    If not considerably better in a week,see a doc for an xray. A fracture is not out of the question

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:02 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Okay if it is not MUCH better by Tues I will give my podiatrist a call... That will be day 7.
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 5:04 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• sorry hun for your pain! it's gonna be like that for a week or two...ice it as often as pssible, that will slow/stop the swelling. elevate it as much as possible...try to elevate it over your/above your heart. see if you can put some compression gauze on it and put something that will hold the cold (but wrap it first so that your skin won't get frost bite) when using the compression gauze. if it is hot to the touch, if the bruising seems to get worse, if the swelling continues, you should see a doc. try urgent care if you can (if these things happen) because you'll be sitting in the ER for hours! don't massage it...massage promotes heat (i'm a massage therapist ;-) ) you want to promote the quickest healing possible...which is why i suggest the RICE method (rest, ice, compression, elevation) feel better hun!
    HappyHmsklNapps

Answer by HappyHmsklNapps at 5:06 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• it takes at least a week!!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 5:44 PM on Jul. 2, 2011