What do you say when a relative wants to borrow your car for 4 months?

I have an older car that I don't use often and I was asked to borrow it out.
Is this something that should be happening? What is expected from each other doing this? I feel like I'm up against a hard place.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:07 PM on Jul. 2, 2011 in Relationships

• No way. I did that once, thought I did it right because I had them get full coverage insurance in case of an accident. Had to put it in their name to insurance. He traded my vehicle in for another new car. The truck had 34K miles and was paid for and like 2 yrs old. My husband wouldn;t let me do anything because it was his little brother. Hell no, don't do it.
    BrendaW.

Answer by BrendaW. at 6:49 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• I say no. It doesn't matter if I don't drive it that often, they aren't going to pay for it if it breaks, probably will not pay for maintenance on it, and you cannot depend on them to take care of it like you would.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 5:09 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• If they are planning on moving the insurance into their name for the 4 months and have FULL coverage on the car at all times. I would make sure to have a written agreement that all car maintenance is their responsibility and any damage cause by lack of maintenance will be their responsibility. I would want to help out but I would also want to protect my asset.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:14 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Honestly, I wouldn't do it. Hubby's family is always asking to borrow things, and if we do get them back they are broken when returned. I hate loaning things to family.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 5:08 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• I would probably say no, unless theres was a really good reason why they needed it.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 5:12 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Id also say they have to register and insure it, but you keep the title... and the whole thing is in writing!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 5:27 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Nope. If they wreck it you are responsible for it.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 5:17 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• I would say before you do anything talk to your insurance agent about this, see what your policy says about other's driving your car, and what would happen in case of accident-- would you be liable (since it is your vehicle) or would the driver be liable and to thru their insurance? If you do decide to lend the vehicle write up a contract stating from X to X date, and what they will be responsible for paying -- like gas costs, oil change, if anything goes wrong on the car...
    Personally if it were me I would be very hesitant about lending a car out for that long, and I would say no and then give them the # for a car rental agency.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 5:47 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

Not of the car has been insured in that drivers name.
    Anonymous

• i think that this is a hard question to answer. i think it depends on alot of things. How well do you know this person? will you be changing the insurance? will they be responsible for any repairs and maintenance? also are you going to have something written out? this is a hard one to answer. I think i would have to go with no but if this is a vehicle that you are not using and might not effect you if something happens to it. then i say go for it
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 5:31 PM on Jul. 2, 2011