Do you own any horses?

how often do you ride? do your children like them and ride them?

My children both love them but we don't have the room for one nor can we afford one right now; so I take them to a friends house that has a horse ranch and they get to ride, groom and feed them.

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 5:08 PM on Jul. 2, 2011 in Pets

• Yes, we own two Quarter Horses that were rescues, and before that we owned a Paint and an Arabian. My kids have grown up around horses and know all the safety rules and they do ride. My DD has claimed my oldest Quarter Horse as her own, so she is the one that gets to do his grooming and we share feeding duties. He's tossed her once but she always wears her helmet (a MUST for anyone on a horse, even adults) and came out of it with no injuries but to her pride. I made her get right back on so she wouldn't be afraid and she's always eager to ride now. My boys ride, though not as often, and my youngest son is fearless enough to climb on with no bridle or saddle (a BIG no-no but thank God the horses are okay with it.)
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 8:09 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• No :( but my DS who is 6 does therapeutic riding every week (a horsemanship/riding class for special needs kids). He LOVES it.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:12 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• No, not yet..my Husband and I plan to own some one day when We build Our dream House and have lots of land for them.
    .MhacFoirfe.

Answer by .MhacFoirfe. at 5:16 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Yes, however she leaves with my mother since I married. I now live in Hawaii, they are in Michigan so there is no way for me to ride right now. However I have a younger sibling who rides her for me so she still get exercise and love on almost a daily basis. When my husband leaves the army and we get a house we are going to make sure it has land and a barn for my Bahara.
    AimBre

Answer by AimBre at 5:31 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• My family used to then my parents retired and couldn't afford to keep them anymore. I used to ride almost every day and was in 4-H when I was in high school, my brother never got in to them. They are a lot of work to keep but can be a lot of fun too. My kids have yet to ride one but they are still pretty little, one of these day they'll get to.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 5:47 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• I used to have two horses(well my family did). I never rode very much but my younger sisters did a lot as well as my brother who now trains horses and has two of his own now.

They do cost alot and take a lot of work especially if you are training them yourselves. I used to hate having to feed them every morning especially in the winter(but I was never really a horse person like my siblings).
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 5:43 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• No but my husband works on a ranch. The owner is a drunk and has my husband do all the work time to time. The draft horse has even stomped on the owner"s foot before(he was drunk!)!! That is a BIG horse! OUCH! My hubby gets to rid them often.
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 5:44 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• I haven't ridden in a long time, and I love horses. We just got a 10 month old colt from the local sale barn for $50. He's much too young to be riding, but I love taking care of him. He was severely underweight when we got him, and in the 3 weeks we've had him he's put on a TON of weight and his fur is looking MUCH better. He's even started playing a little bit. He is deathly afraid of ropes and anything that looks like a crop or whip, though. We've got a long road ahead of us, but I think he will turn out to be a very good horse. I didn't realize how much I missed being around horses, so I think we might go back for a second horse after we save up a bit.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 9:13 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• no but my dd who is 8 is horse crazy. her whole room is pretty much either horses or barbies.
    deniseh1973

Answer by deniseh1973 at 10:54 PM on Jul. 3, 2011