Why do people think they can make their child be potty trained then...

get mad when it doesn't work like 'the book' says! I have a friend who read a book that is about potty training in 3 days. He child is just turned 2. She took off 5 days of work to do this and is upset it did not work. Why do people honestly believe potty training can be achieved in 3-5 days on a child who is not remotely interested in the concept? Why give yourself the added stress of putting a time line on it? Is this just me?

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 5:21 PM on Jul. 2, 2011 in General Parenting

• I've asked the same question to myself many times!! Ugh!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 5:24 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• i think have this pre conceived notion that if the book said it's gonna be easy as 1,2,3 then it should be. Every kid is different and has their own time schedule to keep.
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 5:24 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• It stresses the parents and is not healthy for the child.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 5:29 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Because I'm desperate! lol I've tried explaining this to my husband he really just doesn't get it. Can't blame him though, our son is 3 1/2 and I just recently achieved the goal of getting him to wear underwear(training underwear) without freaking out, he really likes his diapers lol
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 5:38 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• LOL tntmom. I promise he will NOT go to school in diapers!! :0)
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 5:39 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Yeah know, I am letting DH handle our third child. They are both boys and DH stays home right now. He's over two and doesn't yet know when he pees, so I am not going to stress it.
    cueballsmom

Answer by cueballsmom at 5:42 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Potty training is going to takes as long as it takes. My dd just turned three, and we are still working on PT.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 6:32 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• because the 3day potty training is more then just taking off work for three days. i have the ebook. i was going to do it but then she got sick. there are things you have to do prepare ect. but i understand what you are saying there is no 1,2,3 magic to it. its very frustrating at times. i am not doing the 3day potty training. if by luck i get 3days i might do it but she is on her way to potty training on her own it might take longer but it will eventually happen.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 11:48 PM on Jul. 2, 2011