3 month old momma's girl...

My lil girl is 3 months old, and I would love to just sit and hold her all day long, which I have to do most of the time because she doesn't like to lay by herself... I feel like she might not be getting enough tummy time, when should babies be able to sit up on their own, and am I doing the right thing by not laying her down and letting her cry? ( It breaks my heart to let her cry!) I also really can't go anywhere because she can't stand to ride in a carseat, I have to put her in the front with me, which is illegal bc of the airbag. I need some advice please....

ryrysyf

Asked by ryrysyf at 8:52 PM on Dec. 15, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Umm she is 3 months old ,

I know ya love her and stuff but your risking her life putting her in the front seat,

Tummy time is easy lay on the couch with her and put her on your tummy
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 8:57 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• As harsh as it sounds and as hard as it may be...as long as there's nothing medically wrong with her, sometimes you just have to let babies (or even older kids) cry. You will not always be able to make her happy and cannot be at her beck and call 24/7. I know it's hard to let them cry, but it's really not going to hurt her, and as long as you don't let it go on for hours at a time, and show her you will come back...she should calm down a bit.
    kicknscreamn222

Answer by kicknscreamn222 at 9:02 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• My daughter was the same way. She screamed when we went anywhere, we got a mirror for her and it helped a ton and eventually between that and growing out of it, she stopped. You really shouldnt put her in the front, illegal is nothing compared to what could happen to her if you got in an accident. Try using a mirror that straps to the seat, then she will be able to see you in it and that will help a ton. I think they have them at walmart.
    asholan_07

Answer by asholan_07 at 9:03 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I wouldn't put her in the front seat either. I don't even know what would happen if a cop pulled you over. I used to lay a big blanket on the floor and lay mine on their bellies. If they cried I would let them for fifteen minutes and then do it again a later time.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 9:04 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• No matter how much you love her, your love will want to protect her first. So I would be sure and put her car seat in the back. As careful as you might be, you can't control other drivers who might hit your car, making the air bag deploy. This might injure her more than if she were in the back. I have had a minor accident with a young infant and the child was fine bc the carseat was properly installed. My daughter had a recent accident and her child, also was perfectly fine, even tho my daughter was injured. You can't control other people driving, so you will want to protect her most of all. :)

lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 9:06 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• continued....Tummy time is great! Matter of fact I never laid any of my infants on their backs except to change diapers or clothing. Throughout time, babies have been kept on their tummies and humans are the only living beings who place their infants on their back. :) I did extensive research from the AAP and the SIDS Foundation and even they could not and did not conclude (in their research) that placing a baby on its back would or could deter SIDS. SIDS is not caused by an infant being placed prone. :) Sorry to diffute that one. :)
    lifeasinoit

• that is so dangerous and i dont understand why anyone would do that.

they will fuss... at 3 months mine was rolling back and forth... she needs more tummy time. & do not put her in the front seat.

as harsh as this sounds- if she dies because of a car accident...it is YOUR fault.
    Sandiii

Answer by Sandiii at 9:23 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Oh believe me, Im definitely worried about the safety of my child... and I know that this isn't an excuse but she will hold her breath... that scares me to death... i barely ever go anywhere anyways because it's just so tuff...
    ryrysyf

Answer by ryrysyf at 9:39 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• It . I would say that you should let her cry eventually she will grow tried of crying and learn that it is okay to be without her mother. That is what I had to learn to because I didn't like hearing her cry either. For your child safety and so you don't get tickets you should also have her in a child seat when you go somewhere. Imagine if you were to get into an accident and she wasn't in a child seat and died because of it. How would you feel? . It is going to be hard to let her cry but you have to do for her own safety. I don't maybe sit back there with her at first while your husband drives and then give he a toy to comfort her and if all else fails give her a pacifier if you allow it.

CammieDorzweile

Answer by CammieDorzweile at 10:01 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• This is where you have to start showing tough love becasue you know what is best for your duaghter (you are just choosing what is easiest for you.....not listening to her cry). Grit your teeth, strap her in her carseat (in the backseat) and take off for a drive. the more you practice this now, the more she will adjust to it. Even at 3 months old she has learned that she will get her way with you by holding her breath.
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 10:03 PM on Dec. 15, 2008