What are your thoughts on Lilith?

I got it from here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goddess.

Lilith is the name of Adam's first wife, who was created at the same time as Adam. She left Adam and refused to return to the Garden of Eden after she mated with archangel Samael. Lilith is banished from Adam and God's presence when she is discovered to be a "demon" and Eve becomes Adam's wife. Lilith then takes the form of the serpent in her jealous rage at being displaced as Adam's wife. Lilith as serpent then proceeds to trick Eve into eating the fruit from the tree of knowledge and in this way is responsible for the downfall of all of mankind.

I copied and pasted certain parts if you want to read it all go to the link its under Judaism.

skinnyslokita

Asked by skinnyslokita at 6:39 PM on Jul. 2, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• This one is a true your mileage may vary type of question. There are other pre-Abrahamic faiths which have goddesses who share characteristics with Lilith, and you also have to consider the biblical habit (whether in the original texts or in their revisions) of vilifying female characters. It's a little too perfect, imo - God uses the same material he used to make Adam to make a woman and she was horrible. God scrapped her and made a new woman that is 2nd generation from Adam (lessor, subservient, derivative, etc) and THEN she's ok...but even then, everything that went wrong was still her fault, causing women for all eternity to be cursed.

I think the truth could lie either way - converts held on to a goddess from another faith and in order to get rid of her, her story was "scrubbed" to leave only the negatives, or, she was invented in whole cloth to explain why women should be subservient.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:47 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• I asked this, looked into it and think she is nothing more than a fictional figure. A lot of people think many people in that Bible are fake, I do not agree with that, but this person I do think is part of another story.
    vntNyll

Answer by vntNyll at 6:53 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• but she has been whittled down to a total ninny by sexist translation

Granted, it's not my faith, but I never really saw her as a ninny - more of an eye rolling "yeah, whatever" type.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:24 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• I greatly admire Lilith. I don't believe the bible to be any more than a story but she is one hell of a character, pardon my terrible pun. I may have named my child Lilith is he had been a girl. I see Lilith as a strong character- one who believes she is equal to everyone, including men and gods.
    kit_manson

Answer by kit_manson at 10:54 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Also she wasn't discovered to be a demon. She was cursed to be a demon by god when she refused to return to the garden and submit.
    kit_manson

Answer by kit_manson at 10:55 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• is this where Sarah McLachlan got the idea for "Lilith Fair?"

There is a feminist "pro-lilith" movement, but a lot of it is so 3rd and 4th hand, it doesn't really trace back to any of the original versions of the story. More like an idea derived from an idea derived from an idea.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:23 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• I honor her. 

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 9:50 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• i have no thoughts on lilith..nary a one.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 6:24 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• In Judaism, Lillith appears in Kabbalah, in the Zohar, as a female demon, but it's really not a part of everyday Jewish belief and practice. The story of Lillith as Adam's first wife DOES NOT appear in the Torah in any form. This is a common misconception, that the stroy was "deleted" to create a male-dominated society, which is false as Jewish society is completely matriarchal. The tale of Lillith as Adam's first wife appears on the Alphabet of ben Sira, an anonymous compilation of writings that are thought to be satirical and a work of fiction.

Looking for Lillith

Sharon

momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 12:51 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• "I greatly admire Lilith. I don't believe the bible to be any more than a story but she is one hell of a character"

Lillith isn't a Biblical character, she doesn't appear in the Bible at all.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 12:52 PM on Jul. 3, 2011