If this statement is true

"There are people out there who want to kill us because of our freedom. That is what they hate us for"

then why are even more free countries being targeted? The Netherlands are far more libertine than the U.S..

Asked by autodidact at 8:52 PM on Dec. 15, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Because it ain't true. It just sounds better than admitted our foreign policy is selfish and short sighted.

Answer by Friday at 8:55 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• its not that they hate us for our freedome, they dont, its because we stick our noses into everyones business. they want to be left alone to run thier countries the way they want to.

Answer by Thalie at 8:57 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• because it isn't true.

Answer by Fiveofakind2 at 8:59 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• you two are preaching to the choir here. : )

my point exactly.

Answer by autodidact at 8:59 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I agree - not true.

Personally I would think it is because we (Americans) go trying to change the world to become what we (again Americans) think it should be, including sending missionaries to convert people from their religion to Christianity.

Answer by indigostone at 9:03 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Politician Pim Fortuyn was supposedly killed by a muslim actvist wasn't he? I think they have it too. They just don't get their military as involved in world politics. The Netherlands isn't looked upon as a "peacekeeper" by other nations as the US traditionally has been. The current terrorist threat level for the Netherlands is at its second highest level of "substantial". So I think they have worries as well. They just react moreso based on the UN. Also, I think there are people who despise us because our government has been openly funding/supporting Israel.

• Because Bush needed to instill fear and sense of justice to wage this war. Its sad what some people will believe, isn't it?

Answer by SLCMOMMY at 9:17 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Anon 9:17, you are absolutely correct, specifically in your last statement.

Answer by SLCMOMMY at 9:19 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• SLCMOMMY, Islamic extremists have hated us WELL BEFORE EITHER BUSH PRESIDENTS. But nice to try and pin the blame on Bush.

• Not true and our freedoms are slowly being taken away from us.