How did you potty train your son?

mamaof3muchkins

Asked by mamaof3muchkins at 7:13 PM on Jul. 2, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I just started taking him every 15 min during the day and put him in underwear. It wasn't always easy but staying consistent is the key. When I saw he wasn't needing to go every 15 min I increased it by 5 or 10 min. I did diapers still at night til I realized he was keeping them dry repeatedly then started letting him wear underwear to bed. I just cut liquids off an hr before bed time. Also if I had to go out for long periods at a time I put him in a pull up and kept taking him to restroom every 15 min. Good luck! My son has been pottied trained since he was 27 months old. There will be accidents but just clean them up without scolding and remind him where to go potty.
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 7:23 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• I waited until they turned 3. Then I waited until I had 3 days to spend at home. I made a big deal out of big boy underwear. I said "you are a big boy! You will wear big boy underwear! YAY!" In the morning I put them in underwear. I took them every 1/2 hour the first day. There will be accidents stay positive. The second day they started to get it. I took them every hour. Day 3 they were trained. I did the same thing for my daughter. Nights take longer, keep the diapers at night for now.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:23 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• im looking at tring to atart potty training my son around his second birthday. i am hoping that his baby sister sees him doing it and wants to do it too. I put underwear on my oldest when she was potty training and when we lefted i took extra outfits incase she didnt get to the potty. but i was told boys r alot different
    mamaof3muchkins

Comment by mamaof3muchkins (original poster) at 7:45 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• I let him spend the first two days naked then put underwear on him on day 3 and full clothes on day 4. He did not respond well to asking/taking him every so many minutes, we had to be hands off and let him do it.
    Fairierose81

Answer by Fairierose81 at 9:07 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I knocked my self out taking my daughter to the potty every 15 minutes for weeks on end off and on from the time she was 18 months until she was three, she was just not ready. One day when she was 3.5 she did it herself. And by herself I mean I never once had to take her to the potty or remind her to go or flush, wipe or wash her hands. I did nothing. WIth my son we tried once at 2,5 he wanted nothing to do with it. At 3.5 I asked if he would go in the potty if I bought him Cars unders. He, again, does it all on his own and I don;t spend my day sending children to the potty. NOT WORTH IT>
    bebcarroll

Answer by bebcarroll at 8:36 AM on Jul. 7, 2011