How can i get my little girl to clean up her toys etc?

how do i get my little girl to clean up her toys and her messes?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:14 PM on Jul. 2, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You show her how and then be patient as she learns.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 7:15 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• bribery

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:17 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• I sing the song clean up..and my 2 yr old immediately begin to pick her toys up. Maybe you can find a cd with that song. when its time to clean up turn it on..that way you're making cleaning up fun and not a chore
    suzzanna

Answer by suzzanna at 7:17 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• make it fun, set a timer and see how much she can put away before the timer goes off, make it easier and have a system where everything goes, my girls have to clean their rooms or no snack so there is always never a dirty room by snack time.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 8:02 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Just ask her to. Most kids like helping out, especially preschoolers. Just tell her that you are proud that she is acting like a big girl and make it seem like fun. Maybe dance around with her or sing something that you only sing at clean up time. Explain that someone could get hurt if things get left out. Kids usually dont want to be the cause of someone getting hurt. As you do laundry, etc explain to her what you are doing. If she stains an outfit, tell her what you have to do to try to get the stain out. She may be able to help sort by like colors or separate the dry clothes by family member. I'm not sure of her age but its something that you can work toward. Your praise will serve as a reward.
    GabsMom1

Answer by GabsMom1 at 10:22 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• That will depend on her mood. If she is just distracted, or doesn't know what to do, you help and be patient. It takes time for them to understand that they even made a mess sometimes. On the other hand, if she is being disrespectful and defiant, you can set the timer and and let her know that her toys will be donated or put in time-out (or whatever). This way, it is her choice if she wants to do what it takes to take good care of the things she has, or if she would rather give them to another child who will.
    I also use the timer to race my daughter to clean up my room at the same time.
    squish

Answer by squish at 1:24 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• ... just wanted to add that she may not be old enough to understand a negative use of the timer like that, so it might make it worse if that is the case. If it does make the clean-up situation worse, I would then guess that she either just doesn't know what to do, or is too overwhelmed by the amount of work that needs to be done.
    squish

Answer by squish at 1:27 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• When I make it a game or a contest my kids love it! Have a race to see who can put away the most toys, say in a teasing voice, "I don't think you can put this away", etc. Offer a sticker or some other little prize if the room is cleaned in x amount of time. They eat that stuff up!
    luvmycutebaby

Answer by luvmycutebaby at 8:17 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I started by doing it with themin the room. Then I had them help while I did most of it. Then I started directing them but not actually putting things away. If they do not help out I just start taking toys away. It works pretty well around here.
    bebcarroll

Answer by bebcarroll at 8:15 PM on Jul. 7, 2011