What is essential?

Everyone argues about what is too important to be cut vs what isn't needed. In your opinion, what are the essential services that should be immune from any budget cuts? WHY are they more important than other services?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 7:17 PM on Jul. 2, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• school budgets need to stop being cut
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 7:41 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• I'm sure there is padded fluff in every department that could be trimmed, without necessarily having a negative impact on essential services. Will those things be cut? Who knows-
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 7:59 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Nothing should be immune to budget cuts. Most conservatives would automatically say military, but there's a lot of waste there, too. BIL gets a brand new pair of work boots every time he deploys, whether he needs/wants them or not. He has seven or eight pairs right now, and he's looking at another deployment at the end of summer (and another pair of brand new boots to go with the others he hasn't worn yet)

I say put it all under a microscope and shave it all down till the budget works, and make sure the babies are fed.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 8:27 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Nothing should be immune to budget cuts.
    ITA
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 8:57 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• I really think it depends. As others said, there's fluff everywhere. But I do think education and anything health/medical /safety related (medicaid, medicare, ambulance services, 911, police, etc) should be kind of the last resort. Cut in other areas, and then if it's still needed, look at those things. It seems to me that education is always the first to be cut anymore, and I think that's a huge mistake.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 9:03 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Infrastructure needs a lot more spent (wisely) on it. The military needs cuts in waste management and use it or lose it areas ~ but not in soldiers' paychecks or retirement/vets. Those are the only things the gov't. is supposed to pay for. But ...

Programs the gov't. forced people to pay into should not be touched. Money for police, fire, and ambulance service should be upgraded.

Everything else is fine with me.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 9:26 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• It seems to me that education is always the first to be cut anymore, and I think that's a huge mistake.

With a lot of these (and ty everyone for answers) it seems the issue isn't so much the where but the how. We can afford to cut from education - our budget compared to other countries in terms of what we spend "per child" is ridiculous for the results we get. However, that "per child" is misleading - most of it is swallowed up in administration costs, not actual education. We don't spend "per child", we spend "per superintendent" and let the children have the scraps that are left. Same with other areas - not to hijack my own question, but exactly how much is it going to cost Florida to drug test people to give them their benefits anyway? Military - the boots are one good example, and there are tons of other redundancies, especially between branches.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 9:29 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• If one program I'd cut they should all be cut by the same percentage. Drawing a line between military and social programs is getting us nowhere. Just cut everything by X% and be done with it.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 11:15 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• There is waste in all departments that can be cut. Big cuts are needed.
    Anonymous

• A strong national defense. Everything else is secondary if that weakens.
    annabarred

Answer by annabarred at 12:06 AM on Jul. 3, 2011