My child has a cleft palate and can not nurse

My son was born seven and a half weeks ago he has a cleft palate along with a lot of other issues such as iugr, heart disease, dilated kidney, dilated uriter, central apnea, reflux, he spent three weeks in nicu after birth because he was so small and had so many issues while we were there we I did put him to breast when I was aloud, but I was mostly pumping and he was being bottle feed because of palate. Then we wete able to go jome I continued to nurse him and pump for bottles when he still seemed hungry after nursing. He was then re admitted for failure to thrive because of serious weight issues and spitting up accompiened by serious drops in heartrate. I have been pumping the whole time. They monitored me nursing while he was her and am now told that he is not getting anything out that his suck is not strong enough because of the cleft palate and he is doing more of a pacifier suck. This had to be some of the most dissapointing news I haverecieved. I am still putting him to breast a few times a day because he seems most comfortable there and to help with milk supply. I am just wondering if any moms have any suggestions to help with milk production or have gone threw similar situations. I am pumping every two hours until the flow of milk stops and om taking fenugreek but my supply just seems to be dwindling down to nothing. And I am at the end of my rope and dont wants this to be it for giving him breast milk and advice would be greatly appreciated.

mandi8395

Asked by mandi8395 at 7:18 PM on Jul. 2, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Goodluck sweetie..maybe talk to a lactation consultant??? and jst keep pumping!!!! best of wishes
    rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 7:57 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Make sure you are drinking plenty of milk and water. Many times the lactation specialists find the biggest problem iis Moms not having an adequate diet to produce enough milk. One of my sons was born with a full Cleft Palate. He was unable to nurse as well. He couldn't even take it from a bottle until after his first surgery for the palate. They inserted a mickie straight to his stomach because anthing he tried to drink flushed up into his nose and all over everthing. Twice it caused him to choke and aspirate. Sometimes stuff just happens. It isn't because you did or didn't do something. Unless he is physically suckling milk from the breast he is not stimulating production. Increased pumping, increased fluid to your diet and hang in there as long as you can.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:08 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• wish i had some advice for you but best of luck to you was he premature?
    mamawilbur

Answer by mamawilbur at 12:01 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Keep working on your supply.
    You can look for a milk bank for donor milk in the meantime.
    You are dong so well, truly!
    hugs!!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:40 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:41 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• If he is comfortable nursing, but you are afraid that he isn't getting enough, you can use a supplimental nursing system. You put pumped milk in it and attach a little tube by your nipple so that he can suckle yet still recieve enough. This is great for supply issues as well, because there is nothing better then the baby on the breast to increase supply.
    squish

Answer by squish at 3:22 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Thank you for the sugggestion but unfortch he has a feeding tube and is not allowed to have anything by mouth right now but I will look into that for when they give us the ok to have by mouth feedings again.
    mandi8395

Comment by mandi8395 (original poster) at 1:02 PM on Jul. 4, 2011