Colonoscopy while nursing?

I need to have a colonoscopy. Family history of colon cancer. Anyone had one while breastfeeding? Baby is 13 months now.

Hazelnutkin

Asked by Hazelnutkin at 8:04 PM on Jul. 2, 2011 in General Parenting

• I did when my baby was only 2 months old. I just had to feed himstored breastmilk and I had to supplement with formula. I pumped after I took the meds to clean out my system and for 24 hours after the procedure was over. Since your LO is older it should be easier. My doc wasn't sure, he had never had a breastfeeding mom need one before. So he researched it and that is what he suggested. They were worried the meds would give the baby diarrhea too.

Good luck! Mine was three years ago and I had two polyps that they removed. I go back in 2 years.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 8:14 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Yeah I had one when my son was 4 months old. The prep did not affect my son, but I pumped prior to the procedure because of the anesthetic.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:45 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Thanks!
    Kellymom says it should be okay!
    Hazelnutkin

Comment by Hazelnutkin (original poster) at 6:34 PM on Jul. 4, 2011