Does PPD ever end on it's own and how do you get past this kind of guilt?

It's been almost a year and though it got loads better after I stopped breastfeeding I guess mostly because I started getting sleep and it seemed like he finally loved me after I stopped hurting his tummy. I still have so much guilt about stopping because no one would believe me that it seemed to be hurting him and my family just yelled at me but I know what I saw every time I would nurse his tummy would just swell up,he'd scream after 15 minutes and try to kick me away he'd just pull his legs up and scream till he would get sick all over the place and have this offel green poop coming out of the diaper leg holes and his face just got more and more of those red splotches and I did everything with my diet that the county home nurse told me to when she visited but it just kept going on for months and we couldn't take him to his doctor because medicaid kept giving us hassles because my husband's social security number was in the system under somebody else's name. Everybody just keeps telling him I'm hurting him by feeding him the alumentum but he's not hurting and hasn't since he went on it so I don't understand how I could be hurting him.
Does the guilt and the depression ever just go away on its own or do I have to go get medication because I've been on meds before for depression and I didn't function very well on them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:06 PM on Jul. 2, 2011 in General Parenting

• Ignore them. They don't know what they're talking about. If your baby is doing better on the alimentum, that's all that matters.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 8:13 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• I would say that you are the mom and if you think that your baby is allergic to your breast milk then your giving him alumentum is probably the best thing. Don't let anyone guilt you...your family should be offering you support, not making you feel worse. If you think that you are depressed then you should deffinitly talk to your doctor.
    mommyrocks5

Answer by mommyrocks5 at 8:16 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• It almost felt like to them and to other people I've talked to that they feel almost like its attacking they're beliefs if they accept that he even can have an allergy of that kind I've gotten the same reaction on here quite a few times. I just don't understand why people hav to get so mad about me talking about it and always have to say that its not possible and that I just didn't do enough or that I was looking for an excuse.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:33 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Some babies truly are allergic to their mother's milk and not just what she is eating. One of my friends was absolutely devastated when her daughter turned out to be allergic. She went through the same thing as you, getting nothing but crap from everybody who breastfed, telling her that it wasn't possible for her baby to be allergic to breastmilk and that she was using it as an excuse so she didn't have to "Do the right thing." She did the right thing. She took care of her baby. She fed her baby what her baby needed. And you are doing the same thing. You are doing what you need to do for your baby, and that is never anything to be ashamed of or persecuted for. Anybody that tells you differently has a stick up their a** and you shouldn't listen to them. Good luck, I hope you are doing better :) You are a wonderful mom :)
    alphamom26

Answer by alphamom26 at 8:44 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• I feel you momma. I had PPD the whole time I breastfed and it went away shorly after I switched to formula. I hated myself for failing at breastfeeding, felt guilty that i wasn't bonding with DD and actually resented her, and was torturing the both of us by listening to other people pushing us to keep trying. I became physically ill with mastitis because breastfeeding wasn't working. I started feeling better just after the decision to stop breastfeeding, and it slowly improved every day. I think I still felt guilty for about 6 months, but it was less and less each day. now I am proud of my decision, it was best for both of us, and fiercely defend it whenever I have to. I don't think you need meds unless you have feelings like you want to hurt yourself or baby, or can't even function because of the sadness. Good luck, and talk your little ones doctor, I'm sure she will reassure you that you aren't hurting your baby.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 11:32 PM on Jul. 2, 2011