What's the difference between a Psychology and Psychiatry?

I am trying to decide which doctor I need to go see for my issues I am having and don't know which one I need to see. I need someone to talk to and to see if there is something wrong with me. Thank you for your answer.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:42 PM on Jul. 2, 2011 in Health

• One is the study of the mind the other is the practice.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 8:45 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• A psychiatrist can write you a prescription, a psychologist can't.
    miss_lisa

Answer by miss_lisa at 8:48 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• So which one should I go to. I don't want to go to someone and waste there time if I should of gone to someone else. I know right now my son goes to a Psychiatrist for his behavioral problems. I have these bad mood swings at times. When they happen I have to leave and go outside for a LONG while so I don't do anything crazy.

Yes this is real and I just got insurance through my husbands work so I want to get some help before it's to late.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:48 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Level of education ( a psychiatrist has a medical degree), and a psychiatrist can prescribe meds., where a psychologist may not be able to.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 8:49 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• No. -ology means the study of something. It does not mean the science or theory. Trust me I took medical terminology. term-in-ology. The study of words. Not the theory.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 8:50 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• If you are wanting to talk through your issues, go to a psychologist. If you want to seek medical treatment for your issues see a psychiatrist.
    miss_lisa

Answer by miss_lisa at 8:50 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Thanks miss_lisa that's the info I needed in a way.

Thank you everyone for your answers, I appreciate it.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:51 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Yeah cause a website is more reliable than an actual medical dictionary.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 8:51 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• A psychologist primarily aids the depressed patient through counseling and psychotherapy. He may hold a doctoral degree (Ph.D.) and be called "doctor," but is not a medical doctor (M.D.).

A psychiatrist, on the other hand, is a medical doctor, and while he may also perform psychotherapy, he can additionally prescribe medications and perform medical procedures such as electroconvulsive therapy (ECT) or transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS).

There is an exception however. Two states -- Louisiana and New Mexico -- do allow appropriately trained clinical psychologists to prescribe medication with certain limitations

from: http://depression.a

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:53 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• You're welcome!
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 8:53 PM on Jul. 2, 2011