sippy cups

ok i saw sippy cups for 4 months and up. my daughter is 5 months. i put half apple juice and half water for the first time today. is it too early for all this jw. btw she tried all veggies so far.

Keeely07

Asked by Keeely07 at 9:05 PM on Dec. 15, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• no its not to early
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 9:06 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• its not to early. just try letting her use it everyday because it will take awhile for her to actually drink out of it correctly
    robinalbright

Answer by robinalbright at 9:07 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• My daughter never has drank off a bottle and she strted sippys at 6 months and she did really well with them. Get the ones with rubber or soft tops for her. You are doing the right thing by diluting her juice. Also give her water in it alot, that way she gets lots of practice and its always healthy.
    asholan_07

Answer by asholan_07 at 9:07 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Juice isn't actually a necessity of nutrition. :) Fruit is best (cooked for little ones, and fresh as they get older) b/c they receive the whole benefit of the fruit rather than just the sugar part. Sugar raises the blood sugar in the body and is acidic to their new budding teeth (which means it takes the natural protection of enamel off.) I'd offer cooked fruit (like applesauce) instead. :) That way she gets the benefit of fiber and the vit. C. :)
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 9:09 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• my 5 month old has a sippy, but he gets breastmilk or formula in it, i will not give him juice till he is closer to 9 months and eating more foods. he loves the sippy, he can hold it himself, and it is easier to get in his own mouth than a bottle.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 9:33 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I think it's better to just use water in sippies.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:41 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I don't think your son is too young if you feel he is ready. Just be careful diluting the juice at this young age. Did you see the report on national news where the mom almost killed her son by diluting the formula? (I think it's called water toxicity). We stopped giving our son juice until he is older because we prefer to dilute the sugar content, but we know it is not safe to give an infant under 1yr of age water. If you want him to use a sippy' why not put his formula in it?
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 9:49 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• too much water isn't good for babies. too much juice isn't either.
    Anonymous

• Be sure and talk to your doctor about it. Of course, likely he goes with the common info, which will say juice is fine. That is something you have to decide. But never be afraid of giving your child water. Just not in a bottle. Baby's suck for the pure pleasure of it, and would definitely take in more water which would dilute their electrolytes too much which is not good at all, but in sippy cup, water is not sucked down in large amounts and is controlled. My pediatrician suggested that all of her patients be offered sippy's with water from 5 months on. At 8 months, our children are given water in a sippy exclusively.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 11:47 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• The American Academy of Pediatrics says babies don't need any kind of supplementation other than formula or breastmilk for the first 6 months, but many moms do what you are doing. Talk to your doctor about it.
    aeon_elyse

Answer by aeon_elyse at 6:06 PM on Dec. 16, 2008