I just found out that I still get to choose not to VBAC and I had to tell somebody

The legislation in my state tried to make it so that if your a woman on medicaid that you can't have an elective( ie maternal preference due to previous c-section) c-section. It failed which is good because I don't really want to VBAC and because it was trying to make epidurals out of pocket for women on medicaid.

So I have a choice still and now I just need to find a doctor that will let me have one too. Which is a whole different thing that it's hard to find a doctor that won't give you grief about driving up his c-section numbers because your a perfect candidate. But I'll save that for once we get pregnant again which is hopefully very soon, it's taking awhile so I've had a lot of time to think this and to try to find a doc and so far no luck.

But I'll say it again, YAY I still get to make my own medical decisions within reason. Sorry it took me forever to find the info on it and I was so excited I had to tell someone.

I know I know many of you have to fight for the whole VBAC thing but I have to fight for the opposite so if we could be nice to each other that would be great because I am really excited.

lizziebreath

Asked by lizziebreath at 9:58 PM on Jul. 2, 2011 in General Parenting

• well i guess congrads are in order
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 10:04 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• congrats i guess...although most doctors push for a c/s anyway...i wanted a VBAC but the stupid doctor got her way by scaring me into one....should'a done my research but i didn't expect to have the doctor on call, my dd was due when her doctor was the one on call but nooo...she decided to be a week late...the day after her doc was off. gggrr
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 10:10 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• the government cares way too much about uteruses
    sophistcatdfury

Answer by sophistcatdfury at 10:17 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• I had two VBACs and then an elective C-sec on account of the previous C-sec and because I had gestational diabetes and was in my 40s by then. I made the choice of a c-sec because my doctor said it would be safer for the baby than doing another VBAC. I think it's important to have a choice. Good for you! I hope you find a doctor who will agree with you.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 10:18 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• They push you the opposite way in my state. I'm in Utah we still have the lowest c-section rate(it's barely 22% and the hospital I delivered at it's still about 10%) and the second highest VBAC rate. They run VBAC trials at the U all the time and I can only name one hospital that has 24hr anesthesiology that doesn't do VBAC and some of the one's without it will sometimes let you have one if you've had a previous vaginal.
    So I understand that it was your experience that they push for c-section(it seems pretty common but I'm in an unusual area).
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 10:22 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• I had a c-section with my son after trying for a natural birth. I can completely understand why you would want a c-section upfront.
    blueberry1

Answer by blueberry1 at 10:32 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• honestly, i didn't want a VBAC due to my incision from my first busting open. Im afraid that if i was to try and push it would bust open again while trying to give birth because its not as strong as most c sections are. But, Im having a 2nd c/s because of placenta previa and having a hysterectomy...
    brookenbrodyn

Answer by brookenbrodyn at 10:46 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Congrats. I was so prepared with all my info to lobby for my repeat section and was so relived when she said I could have it because they don't do VBAC. Women should never have to worry about who controls their uterus' or bodies.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 11:21 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Congrats, I guess. I want a VBAC, but I am glad that you get to make the choice that is right for you.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 1:32 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Frankly the epidural is not a necessity so I can agree that they don't pay for it. Women went for years without having to kill their pain for labor and delivery. I am glad that you get to have your VBAC. If you can't find a doctor, look into a midwife.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 12:51 PM on Jul. 3, 2011