Making your own baby food

Do you make you own baby food, why and what do you make and what do you use to make it. Im doing research for when my son starts solids i plan on making his baby food.

Love1988

Asked by Love1988 at 10:12 PM on Jul. 2, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• they have this thing called the baby bullet. i saw it in a magazine the other day. i didn't make my kids baby food (ds i bought them, dd was never even on baby food, she was on the bottle until 9 months, then one day i just started giving her table food) so i can't give much advice. GL
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 10:15 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• I did for awhile. i also got this really cool thing. i know now they have the baby bullet but mine was a steamer and blender just for the baby food. well anyways, get this book. called the superbaby food. its fantastic. and you can freeze the baby food and defrost the next day in the perfect portion for the little ones. in the back it tells you when to start each one. its just great. if you want me to send you mine i will. anyways, start off with cereal and its just graduatally increases with new foods. just introduce one at a time. i started with cereal first. then i did like fruit like bananas and then veggies. it was awesome to make the baby food. and one i was making my own i would get people to give me the little jars and i would have her pefect portion for daycare. have fun and pm me if you want the book.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 10:16 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• I make my own. I started out with just putting it through a sieve since we were staying with my MIL. That wasn't too bad. Now I use my hand blender or just mash with a fork. Make sure everything is well washed and thoroughly cooked if it's hard. Soft foods like avocados and bananas don't need cooking.

I make everything. Recently we've been experimenting with spices like cinnamon and even curry in little bits. It helps them be less picky as toddlers since they're already used to the flavours. My main motivation is cost and quality. I trust myself more than strangers who are in it for money. I use only fresh ingredients and I serve it quickly. I make big batches with sale items.

If you plan to seal jars or freeze it, don't do it in the original jars they can crack without you seeing and leave microscopic glass shards in the food.Either use an ice cube tray and transfer to ziplock baggies or specially designed containers.
    kit_manson

Answer by kit_manson at 10:18 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• I never really gave my daughter baby food. She didn't like it. I could usually get her to eat the fruit baby food but she didn't like anything else. I gave her oatmeal with breast milk instead of regular milk and I gave her yogurt and I chopped up food in a food processor or just mashed it with a spoon. She also love apple sauce. I used to mix the fruit with apple sauce for her and she loved it. She didn't eat a lot of meat until she was older. She couldn't stand the meat baby food and wouldn't touch it. Frankly, I couldn't stand the smell of it either.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Answer by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 10:19 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• I made my own- it was more cost effective and tasted more 'real' to me. Gave me more options for experimenting with spices and herbs later on. Getting my children prepared for the flavors we eat often in our home (tyme, rosemary, garlic...) Still following the one new item at a time rule. So we did carrots then carrots with cinnamon, the peas, then peas with tarragon...

I would steam the foods then use a basic blender to puree it. then move it into ice cube trays to freeze. dump the cubes into labeled zip loc baggies for easy access and perfect portions!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:19 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• I planned to make my own baby food with my daughter, but she had other plans--she refused to let anyone spoon feed her anything. So didn't start solids until 7.5 months and went straight to table foods at that point. SO much easier and cheaper. I wish I would've known to try that on purpose with both of my kids. Google "baby led solids". :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:22 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• I eventually got to where I pureed what ever we were eating for dinner- spaghetti, roast beef and potatoes and green beans, chicken soup...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:22 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• i made my own babyfood, it taste better and I know what I'm putting in there. I made sweet potato, carrot, apple, peach, pear or whichever you think it's ok for your baby. I bought a babyfood maker that has steamer all in one, exp: I just cut up apple or carrot just put it in steam it then blend, it's very easy and healthy.
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 10:43 PM on Jul. 2, 2011