I need breastfeeding help

Ive been using a nipple cover to help my daughter latch on and she uses it and its working its all i use since im breastfeeding, and because it works but i tryed takeing it off and seeing if she would breastfeed with out it and she latches on but wont really drink is this bad ?? should i ween her off the nipple cover and make her feed with out it or just keep it because its working? shes only a week and a few days old.

AliciaLamoreux

Asked by AliciaLamoreux at 10:16 PM on Jul. 2, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It doesn't matter too much either way. But for the sake of convenience, if nothing else, I'd try weaning her off of the nipple shield. If she'll latch without it, keep trying that way; that's the biggest hurdle for many moms using a nipple shield. And try not to judge how much she's getting in any way other than diaper counts.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:25 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Can't answer this one. I weaned my lo off, it took a while but she got the hang of it. Join the breastfeeding group on here. Those women know everything there is to know about breastfeeding. They got me through some tough times. GL!
    babygirl0782

Answer by babygirl0782 at 10:26 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• dragonridermd pretty much summed up what I was gonn say lol.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:30 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• It's best to slowly wean her. And remember it'll take some time, but it'll get done!
    SapphireMomma

Answer by SapphireMomma at 11:02 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• I hate to see a mom tied to a nipple shield. Eventually, it will rip or get lost and then you're stuck. Try weaning off of one by latching and nursing with it and then break suction with your finger, remove it and try doing the rest of the feeding without it. Eventually, DD will learn to do the whole feeding without it.
    JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 1:08 PM on Jul. 3, 2011