Made plans to go see fireworks tonight...only thing is my DD is terrified...what to do?

We are all set and ready to go and my DD starts throwing a fit about how she doesnt want to go see fireworks, she is really terrified.my friends are here from out of town and we made plans to go as a group, meaning her DH, and her two kids, and my DD and I. They drove 20 miles out here. I had to tell them to go on ahead without us, but I feel so bad because we had planned this the entire week. We were supposed to have a picnic, get on the fair rides and then watch the fireworks. I didnt realize how scared my DD was of fireworks. She is only 3 BTW. Please someone make me feel better. Did I do the right thing by staying behind since my DD is absolutely terrified of fireworks. I mean, in my eyes she does come first. I dont want to traumatize her permanently KWIM?? Even though we are at home right now, she wont go to bed, she is attached to my hip and wants me to lay with her and not leave her room. She thinks in her little mind that I would leave her all alone at home and go watch the fireworks. But I have tried to reassure her that I am not going anywhere lol. My friends do seem to understand the situation but I do feel so bad. DId I do the right thing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:00 PM on Jul. 2, 2011 in General Parenting

• You did the right thing. Toddlers are unpredictable and I think all parents are aware of that!

blueberry1

Answer by blueberry1 at 11:02 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• i think that you did the right thing but maybe you should have drove kinda close and let her listen to them from that far away and then seen if she could handle standing outside and then work your way up to getting closer. i did this with my son and i also brought dh earplugs and my son eventually pulled them out and he now loves the fireworks
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 11:07 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• amber, I tried but she wont even get into the car. She started dry heaving like she was about to pass out saying...I...DONT...WANT...TO...GO.......SEE......FIREWORKS!! After every word she would dry heave, that scared me because she never does that. I tried bribery (with icecream afterwards, now that ALWAYS works for everything), but this time, NOPE, she didnt want icecream. I even told her she could watch her favorite show DORA on my cellphone with my earplug so she wont have to see or hear anything...NOPE....she didnt want that either. I tried to pick her up and put her in the car, but she SCREECHED so loudly and hyperextendeded her back, I had to put her down. So yeah, I was left no other option.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:13 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• i agree...with the loudness of the fireworks....start out in the car with some relaxing music to calm her and then work on showing her that it is safe....slowly work on the outside thing.....it took me two years to work up to that with my daughter...now she loves them.....for her fears, you did the right thing but in the future you need to start to teach her to face some fears and that you are there to provide love, comfort and safety should those fears be founded....you won't take her home on her first day of school will you? no, because then she will never go to school.....see? as for your friends, tell them the truth...daughter was scared and i think i need to introduce the fireworks to her alil differently. so maybe next year....
    southernlady184

Answer by southernlady184 at 11:17 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• You did the right thing. You don't want her to be scared of them for a long time, let her decide when she's ready.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:18 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• You did the right thing. I still hate fireworks. I have an anxiety disorder though. If this doesn't clear up in a year or two I'd look in to getting her tested.
    kit_manson

Answer by kit_manson at 11:22 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• You did the right thing.
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 6:32 AM on Jul. 3, 2011