• In the Spotlight:

If your kid had u at knife point?...

So 2 make a long story short, my DD (a 12 yr.old) & I had an arguement & she grabbed a knife off the counter & came toward me telling me she was going 2 stab me. I was shocked & thought she was actually going 2 do it. She finally threw down the knife & started yelling & calling me every name in the book. She was still angry & I wasn't sure if she would go back after the knife, so I back-handed her. I can't even remember the last time I layed a finger on her, so I was hoping it would shock her back to reality. It didn't & she came at me trying to wressle(sp) me 2 the floor. At that point I knew I had 2 walk away. My daughter is now in a hosp. & has been there sence Tues. morn. The Dr.put her on meds(anti-depresents) BUT I'm still not sure I want her home yet? Does this make me a bad mom? Have u been through this & if so what are my options? Is there such a thing as temp. housing 4 her? P.S I live in Co. Thanks 4 ANY advise!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:21 PM on Dec. 15, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• they have special homes for children like that, if she is more than you can handle and you fear for your life. talk to a social worker about it. I'm sure the hospital has at least one on staff that you could talk to about it.
    Anonymous

• Um. My children would never have tried this. That would be the last thing your child tried in my house.
    Anonymous

• if my child ever pulls a knife on me I would do as you did. I can understand you're not feeling safe. WHY did she do this? I would talk to the social worker and others at the hospital to help you find help for her and your family.
    It does not make you a bad mom that you're not sure you want her back in your house right now, it absolutely understandable and she obviously needs some serious intervention.
    Good luck
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 9:25 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Ps.. They had the nerve 2 call S.S on me. I'm sooo done right about now! I'm a good mom but the law seems to protect the child even when they r the abuser!!
    Anonymous

• No I have not been through this and I dont know what to say..... but I would think getting her all the help she needs and being there and just letting her know you love her is what needs to be done not putting her in foster care thats probably only gonna make things worse she is going to think that you dont want her or love her and then you will have real problems!! Sounds like a very troubled young lady!! good luck
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 9:29 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

Good luck

We were having an arguement and she went off the deep end! I want to put her in foster-care for a couple of months 2 let her know if she don't staighten up, thats where she'll stay BUT I think once she goes in, she has to stay untill she's 18. If thats the case I don't know......
    Anonymous

• No, if she goes into foster care she does not have to be there until she is 18. I have a few friends who went into foster care for a few months (one did for a little over a year) and then were aloud to go back to their parents when their parents were proven to be "fit" again.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 9:54 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I have not been through it, but know people who have had children who were violent to them and would have done the same thing you did. There should be a social worker at the hospital who can go over all the options with you for temporary placement of your daughter. She may be eligible for a residential treatment program where they would have therapy for her one on one, group and family. Not feeling safe to bring her right home does not make you a bad mom, also look into support groups for parents going through similar problems with their children.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 10:03 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

Ok BUT its the other way around! As far as I know I'm a "fit" parent. My child is the one saying she is going to kill herself and me. I'm not trying to play with the system BUT somebody somewhere has to tell her this is unexceptable. Foster care for a few months might be what is needed for her to understand that this is no joke. The question is, will they do it?
    Anonymous

• As far as the SS being called it may be due to what SHE is telling them so they have to investigate. I totally understand if she is out of control and is a threat to you. You love her but you do not want to be hurt by her. Anyone who is not in your position can say all they want that "It would never happen in my house or THAT would be the last thing she did", but as a parent when it comes right down to it, it is against our very nature to hurt our own children. Even if it comes to self defense...we use the least amount of force.

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 11:15 PM on Dec. 15, 2008