What is "God's Plan"?

Does God have a plan for each of his creations?  Is the plan flexible?  Can it be changed if one prays for a different outcome?  Or are any changes in the plan pre-planned, making them still part of "the plan"(like God knows in advance that you will get a cancer diagnosis, but will pray very hard for a miracle, and has already decided he will grant the miracle long before you even have the diagnosis)? Does everything always go according to his plan?

jsbenkert

Asked by jsbenkert at 11:17 PM on Jul. 2, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Only God knows
    myownhappiness

Answer by myownhappiness at 11:19 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• i'd tell ya, but i'd have to kill ya.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:19 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Yes.
    No.
    No.
    Yes.
    Yes.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 11:28 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• I think you are anthropomorphizing God, turning ""Him" into something with the same constraints we have: ambitions, plans, linear time, finite space... I don't think it works that way at all. God is everything and cannot be separated from Creation.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 11:38 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Eilish, you don't believe we have "free will" at all then. Interesting. I thought that was one of the main foundations of Christianity.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 11:42 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Please! They aren't constraints - these are things that He's taught us about His character.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 11:42 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• True, judimary, I am using the anthropomorphized version of God in this question. It is the god of the Bible, and the one who seems to be most referred to in this section when answers like "It is (or isn't) God's plan for 'X' to happen". I am going on the premise that there is a Creator who watches over us and determines our eternal fate based on our actions, which also seem to be predetermined by him (hence "the plan"). It's difficult to make any sense of it, at least for me, so I'm asking what is the plan? It stems from my earlier question about why god won't heal amputees, and the answer that it somehow didn't fit into his "plan".

jsbenkert

Comment by jsbenkert (original poster) at 11:42 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• We have free will, but our free will doesn't supersede God's autonomy. We are not autonomous creatures. We have limits. God is autonomous and doesn't have limits.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 11:44 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• It's difficult to make any sense of it, at least for me, so I'm asking what is the plan? It stems from my earlier question about why god won't heal amputees, and the answer that it somehow didn't fit into his "plan".

Comment by jsbenkert (original poster) a minute ago

Doesn't make a lot of sense to me either....I am waiting for the answer.... it will be 'good', no doubt.
    Good question jsbenkert. :-)
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 11:47 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

Answer by -Eilish- 3 minutes ago

-----------------------
    So, then you are saying we really DON'T have "free will" ? That God can cancel our free will?
    I disagree. We DO. We are in charge of our lives.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 11:51 PM on Jul. 2, 2011