Is it possible to get your milk supply back after 5 months? If so, HOW?

I've been breastfeeding my twins since delivery for about 20% of their calories (the rest is formula).  I love it so much and don't want to stop.  I've been continuing to pump and demand feed each one alternating but it seems my supply is significantly decreasing.   I went longer than I ever thought I would, but now I'd really like to go to at least 9 months.   I've been taking Mother's Milk tea and the pill version religiously.  Someone recommended Domperidone; I got some but I am afraid to try it.   Any suggestions or real life success stories with bringing milk back?

JOY708

Asked by JOY708 at 9:28 PM on Dec. 15, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• try that mothers tea and alfla pills and pump alot
    Anonymous

• If you're still nursing, then just continue. If they nurse, the milk will come!
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:42 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Contact a lactation consultant, she can help you determine the best way for YOU to be successful. I'd be wary about putting strange things in my body based on online suggestions!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 9:49 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Reduce the amount of formula you're giving, that's the quickest road to producing less. If you're still BFing then you don't need to make your milk come back, you just need to up the supply. It is simply supply and demand, if there's demand your body will do its best to supply. It sounds like you're on the right path. Drink more water and eat oatmeal. Also keep them attached to your breast if they fall asleep eating and let them suckle for a little bit, this will send more 'demand messages' to your body.

One of the biggest obstacles in your way is the formula though. Good for you for making it this far BFing twins, and hooray for wanting to keep going!! PM me if you'd like more advice/support, I'm more than happy to help!!
    bltcahill

Answer by bltcahill at 10:16 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• The previous poster got it right. The domperidone will help You've got it, may's well use it.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:21 PM on Dec. 15, 2008