OTC allergy medicine and breastfeeding

Do you know of any otc allergy medicine that I can take that's safe for a nursing mom? My head is sooo congested, and I won't be able to get in touch with the pediatrician until after the weekend...

Thanks!

GoodyBrook

Asked by GoodyBrook at 11:44 PM on Jul. 2, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I took sudafed whlie nursing - the OTC - not the behind the counter type. Stay away from anything that dries you up at it can dry up your milk too. Always good to double check with your pharmacist too. They work the weekends.
    JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 12:32 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Benadryl is fine, but make sure you have someone close by because it can make you drowsy and if it does, you'll need help with baby. Stay away from psuedoephedrine, which is in the Sudafed and other meds behind the pharmacy counter. I'm also pretty sure that Zyrtec and Claritin are safe.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:37 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• And don't ask the pedi. Ask an IBCLC, LLL leader, or consult Dr Hale's book or website, or the LactMed database. Unfortunately, too many doctors have no idea and just say a med is unsafe because they're not sure.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:38 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Claritin, Benadryl, Sudafed... ALL safe. Stay hydrated, that's all.

You have to work very hard to find an unsafe med. Really the only patently unsafe one OTC is aspirin.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:41 PM on Jul. 4, 2011