A CT showed I have an ovarian cyst....

Anyone know what exactly this means? Could this be why my husband and I are having difficulty getting prego? When should this become a concern? When do we worry about cancer? My dr didn't give me any information and I'm a little worried.

EBeauty03

Asked by EBeauty03 at 9:38 PM on Dec. 15, 2008 in Health

• I don't believe with a cyst you need to worry about cancer, but yes it could be causing your concieving problems. Talk to your doctor about it...remember that YOU pay THEM and you should keep asking questions until you are satisfied.

If, before you get to see your doctor again, you have sharp stabbing pains in the area of your ovaries, you need to go to the ER asap because a cyst may have ruptured.

For more information and the answers to most of your questions, go to this site:
    http://www.4woman.gov/faq/ovarian-cysts.cfm
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 9:50 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• There are different types of Cysts. I have problems with them frequently and yes they are painful but no they are not cancerous. Didnt your Dr do an ultrasound? You should ask him about the type of Cyst you have if its just an Ovarian Cysts theres really nothing to worry about. You shouldnt freak out either if they rupture, thats what causes the most pain but its ok that they rupture. Some Cysts may needed to be treated with a minor surgery. You really need more information from your Dr. Dont be afraid to ASK as many questions as you want to. Speak up! Tell him your worried and you want more information and he should give you the time to sit down with you and explain whats going on. Good Luck.
    angieluv

Answer by angieluv at 9:57 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• If you have a cyst on your ovary, there is some sort of hormonal imbalance. I have dealt with this for years and I have never been able to conceive. I don't think Dr. s do a very good job of explaining hormone imbalances, PCOS, and the other things that surround it. Just keep asking questions like the other posters said. They really aren't as big of a deal as your dr. might try to make them...I think their in it for the money and don't really care what you want.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:44 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I've had many ovarian cysts. Most of them caused some pain, but when they did an ultrasound the cysts were small & the usually go away by themselves. Sometimes when you ovulate a small sac forms...& then leaves the body when you have your period. For some reason if it doesn't leave the body it ends up filling with blood...Usually the go away. I would keep on the doctor about it & ask as much info as you can. Before my hysterectomy I had the usual pain I had when I would get a cyst, I went in for an ultrasound & had to have surgery that day. Turns out the cysts was bigger than my uterus, & leaking blood into my abdomen. If it would have busted I could have been in serious trouble! They had to remove my left ovary. If a cyst get too big, it could twist the ovary around causing blood flow to be cut off.
    emf6874

Answer by emf6874 at 11:20 AM on Dec. 17, 2008