Will any of these feelings ever go away?

I have this nagging thought that nobody likes me. I've always had this thought. When I was a kid, I was horribly bullied by many people and even sexually assaulted at school by another kid during first grade. As a teenager, my mother would always tell me that she didn't like me and tell me I could leave if I didn't like the way she treated me. My father used to bully me with constant questions as to whether or not I was planning to blow up my high school because I wear all black, or if I was a lesbian like my older sister because I let a friend borrow my jacket. So now as an adult, I am socially inept and extremely shy and find myself constantly paranoid that nobody likes me as a person. I try to tell myself that it doesn't matter what others think of me, but I want to be taken seriously and be seen as a real person with valid opinions and thoughts. I feel like a walking joke.

Metal-head

Asked by Metal-head at 12:10 AM on Jul. 3, 2011 in Health

• you're not the only one. I feel like a failure today, I cooked dinner and DH wouldn't eat it because it was so bad! On top of that my garden isn't producing anything. I'm always worried about what others think of me, even on here (hints anon)!

Best example: I'm going through a divorce right now that I filed for and sitting back I'm not sure who to blame for it. Being married 7 years I cant remember when my weird habits started, if he asked me to stay back 10 feet while he is talking or if i just started doing it or if I always did all the housework because I wanted to or if it is because he wanted me to.

trust me, it's not just you. Talk to someone professional about it and see what they suggest.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:19 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I filed for divorce recently as well after only 3 years of marriage, but he was my high school sweetheart and we've been on and off for years. I also don't know who to blame anymore.

I have spoken to professionals, but I have trust issues. lol I do not like the counselors available to me. Thank you for your answer!
    Metal-head

Comment by Metal-head (original poster) at 12:21 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Well,its not true, i happen to know that you are a good mother and that you care very deeply about others so hold your head up and don;t let anyone make you feel bad.
    Sarah961

Answer by Sarah961 at 12:23 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I agree with Sarah961. Who really cares what others think? You know you're an amazing mother and woman!
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 6:59 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I'm sorry you had to go through that growing up. You should not have had to be subjected to it. :( I only just met you, but I like you :) I was also bullied in school and dealt with different forms of abuse as a teen. If you ever need to chat or anything, I'm here to lend an ear.
    sunshinepraying

Answer by sunshinepraying at 12:45 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• :) I choose to not let my past shape my future. But sometimes, it catches up and makes me worry.
    Metal-head

Comment by Metal-head (original poster) at 12:48 PM on Jul. 7, 2011