What age is to young for a cell phone?

1sexymother

Asked by 1sexymother at 12:15 AM on Jul. 3, 2011 in General Parenting

• Well my 2 year old is to young, along with my 5 year old....but my 9 yr old has one
    Amberlovesher3

Answer by Amberlovesher3 at 12:18 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Under 14 seems too young to me.
    lizziebreath

Answer by lizziebreath at 12:19 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I got my oldest son one at seven but his father died and he plays travel hockey. I dont always go along but want to make sure i can contact him. My middle son is 8 and has no reason for one.
    sugamama3

Answer by sugamama3 at 12:20 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I agree, under 14 is too young. thats when wall phones (home phones) or mom's cell work best.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 12:21 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• IMO under 15-16 they serve no purpose. My child will not be anywhere without someone who has a phone or without adult supervision until he/his friends are getting to driving age.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:22 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I think if they are not old enough to pay the monthly bill themselves then they don't need one. This is how both mine and my hubby's parents felt. We were both 16 before we had cells and we had to pay for the phone and pay the bill each month, it will be the same with our kids. We may consider getting those phones that you can only program 4 #s in if we really feel it is necessary, but that would be about tween age.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 12:26 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I used to think that under 16 was reasonable. Then my 13 yr old got hit in the mouth with a baseball at practice. The coach didn't call me and the poor kid had to ask to borrow a phone. Luckily, I was literally passing by when he called.

My 13 and 11 yr olds share a phone. It sits on the counter unless one of them has after school practice. My 11 yr old takes it on sleepovers.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:26 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• My son is 5 and is getting one this month. He will be starting school in the fall and it's important that he has one in case of emergency. I would say for a child who is home all day before that is too young, but with the Kids Phones they have now, I think any child who is able to use one should have access to one should they be away from home for to long.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:27 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• For MY kids they are too young until they are able to pay for it themselves
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 12:30 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I have a 6,7 year old we keep 2 minute phones so they can take with them for overnights for calling us only
    rinamomof2

Answer by rinamomof2 at 5:48 AM on Jul. 3, 2011