What type of pain relief will you/did you use in labor?

I ask this because I'm not sure what to use this pregnancy. I've had 3 previous pregnancies and had epidurals with all of them, but the last 2 times have made me so afraid to get another one, but I'm also afraid of the pain. What did you use and how did it go for you?

Grungalax

Asked by Grungalax at 12:28 AM on Jul. 3, 2011 in Pregnancy

• i got the epidural...i cannot stand pain and i would recommend it.
    hottmomma042607

Answer by hottmomma042607 at 12:33 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• epidural!!!!!! Best thing ever!! ;o)

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:35 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Epidural it is actually the best for you because it doesn't not go into your bloodstream so it doesn't affect the baby (meaning when they say your baby is all drugged out they are lying). I swore up and down with my DD that I would have a natural birth....until they broke my water when I was 7cm the pain got so horrible that I was a ball of sweat and throwing up constantly, once the epidural took affect (about 5-10 minutes) I felt amazing!
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 12:37 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Epidural is heaven sent u wont feel a thing!!!!
    Mommy2Raul

Answer by Mommy2Raul at 12:40 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I had two c-section and 4 vaginal births. I used no pain meds for the vaginal births and honestly it is the best feeling in the world to actually be able to feel the birth. Yes, there is pain, but it passes. I wasn't trying to be a hero, I was just afraid to get any drugs in case they caused a problem with the baby or the birth (complications are rare but they do happen and I just couldn't bring myself to risk it). You can do it unmedicated. It's what you're designed to do. Be strong! Learn some deep relaxation techniques and meditation.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 12:42 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I got an epidural as well. However, it didn't work all the way for some reason. No one told me there was a possibility of a "window' of pain. Well I know now. But so glad my baby girl is here:-)

Check out my Blog: FamilyCEOMom.blogspot.com
    Kaye924

Answer by Kaye924 at 12:51 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• The first time I took a Bradley class, and so I guess you could say I used the Bradley method. Bradley teaches many different ways to handle pain, and what things are normal so they don't frighten you. It was incredibly helpful. I also hired a doula. The second time around, I had a homebirth, and obviously that takes the pharmaceutical options away. However, it also takes the stress away, and allows you to really listen to what your body needs. Yep, it hurt, but it was incredibly worth it, and I was instantly relieved as soon as the baby was out. It is an incredible feeling! :) Plus, having a midwife is the best!! :)
    squish

Answer by squish at 1:09 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Epidural, definitely!! Had one with both of my pregnancies, the second one wasn't given to me in time and I felt everything. I will definitely be asking for it quickly next time!
    davidnjonsmommy

Answer by davidnjonsmommy at 1:34 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Epidural!
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 1:56 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Epidurals and drugs are very risky and unnecessary.

If you want pain relief you have other options!
    :-)

Natural birth doesn't have to be *bad* at all!
    Pain can be transformed into "intense" with some help & info & encouragement.

There are many methods and classes and books and videos, and ........stuff.
    If you are interested I can share.

But basically, to sum it up:
    Who we hire to attend our labor, the setting we choose to do it in, our trust in the normal process (confidence, faith), and who we have on our Team/in the room
    are the key points to consider.

If you'd like help let us know!
    :-)

doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:04 AM on Jul. 3, 2011