Are you depressed? Literally depressed, not just having a bad night but actually depressed?

I think so many of us hide our depression because we are afraid to be judged by our family or friends. I know I do. I make light of certain situations even though they are secretly eating me alive. I don't want anyone to post a "crazy" title to my back. : /

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:52 AM on Jul. 3, 2011 in Health

• Yes, its just being over-whelmed with having no money, the economy sucks.
    I'm a single mom & find myself really lonley, not having a man in my life.
    Its sad but my job is the most exciting part of my life.
    Although, I'm very proud of my kids & love them with all my heart,
    I'm just not happy, not satisified with life, just want something more.
    I'm just floating through life it seems to have no real purpose
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:59 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Mine is being treated and I have not had a relapse in symptoms in over a year. I am on two different meds and I see a therapist. Depression is a horrible illiness. I am not at all afraid to talk about mine because if it means helping someone seek treatment then my heart is an book!!
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 2:26 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• ^^^should say open book^^^
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 2:27 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• hey i take my Paxil and Adderal and im proud! its the only thing that keeps me sane. i suffer from PTSD, Anxiety, SM(cutting), BiPolar & ADHD. I used to be very closeted about it, i though that if pple knew they would think i was a nut job, but over the years of dealing i have learned the more open the better..now pple understand if i havent had my meds in a while and i go a lil crazy (sometimes i just cant afford them), or why i cant sit stil and im forgetful and if they see me with a bandage on my arm i dont get too many questions about it if they know me. (i take the meds and they work but some times if im too over stressed or cant handle things emotional i will cut, i try not to like using a rubberband and stuff, but that dosent always work.)
    MonkeyMommyNJ

Answer by MonkeyMommyNJ at 2:49 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I too have to be medicated to get through day to day life. I don't think there is anything wrong admitting you need help with depression.
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 6:56 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Thank you for sharing :) I know this is hard. It is for me anyhow.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:06 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I've been depressed since I was a small child. It comes in waves. Right now I'm doing fine but who knows how long that will last?
    kit_manson

Answer by kit_manson at 11:09 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I have been there too. Thankfully, I was able to get beyond the depression without dangerous medications (and yes, prescription antidepressants are among the most dangerous meds in use). 

http://medicationsense.com/articles/april_june_04/ssri_warnings.html

Did you know that most doctors outside the US do NOT prescribe them; because of the danger, and because of the lack of evidence that they work as well as natural alternatives like St Johns Wort or SAMe? 

There is no shame in feeling depressed, and there is help available. Start with counceling, (someone knowledgable that  you feel comfortable talking with, and respect their advice). Make sure you are getting the rest, excercise, and nutrition your body needs; and remember that nothing (good or bad) lasts forever. GL

ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 2:59 PM on Jul. 3, 2011