Some people are just greedy and don't care how lucky they are.

I work for a nonprofit company that works with mentally and physically disabled adults. We have recently formed a fund raising committee to buy departments those extra little things that aren't in the budget (movie tickets to take consumers out, games for the consumers, things the offices need etc). This week we are running a booth at the local fair. We are asking people in the company to volunteer at the fair. We have over 200 employees and only like 5 people are offering to work. (and yes I am working the fair). It just makes me sick. Everyone says "well the company doesn't do anything for me" Excuse me? We gave you a JOB. Go work at McDonalds and see if you can make 9$ an hour and get such a flexible work schedule and ahve the freedoms we do in this company. When I first started I was getting paid 9$ an hour to go to kid's house and play video games with him for 5 hours while his parents went out once a week. It doesn't get much easier than that. I just want to scream at some of these people. It's mostly college kids working there right now. I mean really, how hard is it do spend 4 hours of ONE night helping out the people you work for? Are we as society that petty now? We had to borrow one employee's truck to move some stuff for the fair. We drove, honest to God, 2 miles, and he asked for gas money. I thought the woman I was with was going to explode. I can remember a time where I was making 100$ a week. I would have killed to be making 9$ an hour. And that's with just a high school diploma or GED. No special experience required. People are just so ungrateful and selfish now. Heaven forbid you have to do something for someone else without getting paid for it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:04 AM on Jul. 3, 2011 in Money & Work

• Are you located in So Cal? If so I'll take a job paying $9 an hour. I don't care what I have to do. And I'd love to work the fair. Uh, Hello!!! F.U.N. I would bend over backwards to get a job right now. And I'm not physically capable of bending over backwards lol
    myownhappiness

Answer by myownhappiness at 2:11 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I hear you, some people are so ungreatful it makes me sick

leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 2:14 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• People expect so much now a days. I would love your job seriously. For that person to have asked for gas money I think I may have exploded for real at him! I am with you I always help out when I can etc as I can but I am finding I am one of the rare people.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 2:17 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• We are so spoiled nowadays. It's sad. Kudos to you for working hard for something that matters...
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 3:20 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I understand your point of view, and I think the person asking for gas money is ridiculous, but I do see the point of few of working and not getting paid for it. I have a great job, but I split my time between work and my family, so when I am not getting paid, my time is family time (unless they are offering OT pay) I know it sounds selfish. And maybe if I worked for a diff type of company my attitude would be different, but I work for a large insurance company, so none of my time is focused on helping others (I hope I made sense)
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 9:03 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Maybe other people have things they have to do. Maybe the college kid needs to study? I owe my employers my time and energy while I am scheduled to work, in return for my time and energy, they pay me. I feel grateful that I have a job in an economy where so many people don't BUT I don't feel I owe my employers any more then what they pay me for. The person who's truck you borrowed, why wouldn't you offer gas money? Trucks are gas suckers and PLUS he let you use the truck , would have been a lot more if you had to rent a U HAUL right? You don't know their situation, don't judge.
    Anonymous

• maybe these same people would volunteer for something else, just not for something work-related
    lizzybee44

Answer by lizzybee44 at 12:50 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• The key phrase is "volunteer" - others may have commitments you may not know about that are just as worthy.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:17 PM on Jul. 6, 2011