The skinniest kid you've seen

I feel like a broken record, I've been to three pediatricians and none of them have ran any sort of tests on my daughter since a year ago. When my DD Scarlett was born she was 6 lbs 15 oz and 19 inches long, totally normal. Within DAYS her pediatrician noticed she wasn't gaining nearly as much as "normal" babies are supposed to. I think details are irrelevant because I'm soooooo tired of repeating them, but for informational purposes I'll tell you she was breastfed for 3 months, then switched to all different types of formula, refused cereal or baby food (literally shes NEVER eaten a bowl of cereal nor more than half a jar of baby food EVER) and at10 months old we started giving her whole milk and pediasure. Any who, Scarlett FINALLY doubled her birth weight right after her first birthday. Yeah, 12 months old, 14 lbs. She is currently 21 months old and weighs....ready for it? 17.5 lbs. Shes literally the thinnest child I've EVER heard of. She doesn't have any abnormal chromosomes so she's not a dwarf, and the worst part is that I come from a HUGE family, no man under 6"2 in my family and all women for the last 2 generations have been 5"6 or taller. It's unheard of. It drives me insane, and I feel horrible about it every day. I've been doing research and have found nothing, theres posts from moms FREAKING out that their 1 year old only weighs 20 lbs, OH NOOO! so I'm curious if ANY of you have heard of or seen a child that is skinnier than my Polly pocket. And any random crazy disorders you want to throw out there for me to research are totally acceptable.

momma_shuler

Asked by momma_shuler at 2:05 AM on Jul. 3, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My DD is 35 inches tall and weighs 31 lbs.
    She was just like your DD up until 4-5 months ago. My pedi told me they'll just hit growth spurts.
    Chloesmom1126

Answer by Chloesmom1126 at 2:09 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Oh yeah, she's 2 1/2 now.
    Chloesmom1126

Answer by Chloesmom1126 at 2:10 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• My DD was 8lbs at birth and was a whopping 16 at a year. The child ate like her older brother and then some. She was just tiny. Fast forward between age 7 &8. The child gained 11lbs in a year. Then from 9-11 she gained 20! She is now nearly 12, 4'11" with a body that most grown women would kill for. And she is my tough little tomboy.

Point is, that some kids are just small. Keep an eye on her and make sure that the doctors do the same. Not everyone can be in the 75th percentile (like my oldest, whom we call the Stick Boy because he's 5'5" and weighs 100 dripping wet.) As long as she stays on or goes above her growth curve she should be fine.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 2:20 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Scarlett has gained on average 3 oz a month....for her whole life. Her growth spurts are like 1 lb in a month and the last time she did that was 6 months or so ago...
    momma_shuler

Comment by momma_shuler (original poster) at 2:21 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• my nephew is the same way..perfectly fine as far as health..eats normal and healthy and all his brothers and sisters are normal weight. when he was 2 i had my first son. as i was going through BABY clothes me and sis did an experiment..my 2 yo nephew was so skinny that he was able to wear a pair of shorts sized 3-6 mos. hes 8 now and weighs only a lil more then my 4yo (47lbs)
    MonkeyMommyNJ

Answer by MonkeyMommyNJ at 2:40 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• My DD is 4 and weighs 35 lbs. But she's tall. I'd say 3ft. I assure you it's not because she isn't eating enough because she eats pleanty. She just takes after her dad who is skinny.

My youngest (who will be one tomorrow) might have a heart murmur. Because she is definitely eating alot everyday, but she is not gaining the weight she's supposed to. It's common. If you look at their fathers it would make sense. THIS is why pediatricians should base the weight average on THE PARENTS not OTHER CHILDREN.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 2:48 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• http://www.uptodate.com/contents/patient-information-poor-weight-gain-in-infants-and-children This is a good article to start. If you are not getting your doctors to run tests etc, find a better doctor. Sometimes calling pediatric nurses and NICU nurses can get you information about really thorough, well-thought of pediatricians in your community. I'm not sure if there is any type of real problem or whether your child is just genetically small, but you deserve some answers.
    GrammytoTrin

Answer by GrammytoTrin at 2:51 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• she doesn't look abnormally thin in the picture she just looks like a happy little girl.
    DianeMary

Answer by DianeMary at 4:21 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Two of five of my kids were tiny like that. My hubby is 6ft 1" but my family is shorter. However, with my son, he was borderline almost abnormal with his weight gain. We went through many tests to figure out why. Finally, they did a growth bone test and explained to us that he has about a year and a half longer to grown than most people and probably because my hubby and I had late growth spurts. By the way, both are also picky eaters so also wondered if their bodies just weren't able to process certain foods. My son absolutely does not like cheese and my daughter despises eggs. My son also has allergies. My daughter is about to be 3 years old and is barely 26 lbs. Her pediatrician was a little concerned and tried advising us on ways to get her to eat but after going through it with my son, I wasn't too worried. I notice she goes through 2-3 days of grazing and then all of the sudden she eats all day long 1-2 days.
    ChicaThis

Answer by ChicaThis at 2:12 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Maybe she's just destined to be small. I have one. My oldest daughter was 7lbs 1oz, 20" at birth. She gained okay the first few month and then just kind of slowed down. She was 18lbs when she turned 1. She finally hit 20lbs at 18 months but still only weighed 20lbs when she turned 2. She is the skinniest kid I've ever actually seen. When she started kindergarten a few months after turning 5 she weighed in at 32lbs. She just turned 11 last week and is 4'3" tall and a whopping 50lbs with her clothes and shoes on. She only wears a size 8 slim in jeans but can fit into shorts that are 5T. I"ve never worried about her size but she's always had a healthy appetite and does grow, just very little. She's always been the smallest kid in her class, is the same size as her 8yo sister and several inches shorter than her 9yo brother (he's been taller since they were 3 and 4).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:04 AM on Jul. 4, 2011