What is a fair summer curfew time for teens(13-15 yrs)? Or have to come home for dinner also?

What summer curfew time is fair for the younger teens who are out in the street on bikes and adventuring around. And should they be forced to come home to eat dinner with the family at some point? Also, what would you do if your young teen constantly, on a whim, ends up eating dinner at different friends' homes during the summer? Is this appropriate? I am not sure if they are actually eating real meals or Top Ramen & Doritos while parents not home. I have tried to provide delicious meals at home and make it more interesting but they still choose to be with friends eating who knows what and my dinner goes to waste. Is this just part of trying to be independent or what? We go out to eat often($$$) in order to inspire some quality time but it's not much help and too expensive.

Indakitchen

Asked by Indakitchen at 2:52 AM on Jul. 3, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Well I think its a normal teenage thing to want to eat at your friends house at times during the summer, but they will only eat at friends houses as much as you will let them, you are in control of this. I think it would depend if I knew the family and I knew the parents were ok with it etc but I still wouldnt let it happen more than a couple of times a week, I think it is important that they come home and you all eat as a family etc at home not just in restaurants, but thats just me. I also dont think I would let my child eat at friends house that dont in return come and eat at my house also, I want to know who my child is around and what them and their friends to spend time at our house too.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 4:24 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• This is normal behavior for teens. I believe the curfew is set by your local government. Our city is 10:00 PM.
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 4:37 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Maybe set specific night the teen HAS to come and eat at home...and I'd say home at dark if they are outside and not on our street. If on our street then maybe a bit later. If he's at someone's house- then I'd say 9 or 10 pm unless spending the night
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:51 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Completely normal. Ask them to call before a certain time (5ish maybe) if they're not coming back for dinner. As for a curfew I'd say 11 at that age. but extend it for special occasions. Curfew can be set by the government but here it's midnight. They won't enforce it unless your kids are being loud and annoying though.
    kit_manson

Answer by kit_manson at 11:05 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Don't allow the government to decide when your child needs to be home. If you want him home at dinner then make sure he is home at dinner time. If he doesn't want to eat your dinner then he can starve. I personally think 9-midnight is too late for a 13-16 y/o to be out with friends anyways. There is nothing to do at that time except get into trouble.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 4:10 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• mine are not that old, but when they ae dinner will ALWAYS be required, and curfew would be 8 PM MAX. Dinner is the best time to communicate with your kids about their days, ssues, friends and activites. Never let them run around with out a daily time to find out what they are doing.... JMHO
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 12:22 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• My kids must be home at 5 p.m. everyday for supper or they must call me by 4:30 to ask permission to eat at someone else's house. If they go somewhere in the evening they must be home by dark which is usually around 9 p.m. I'm pretty strict about this.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 9:37 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I'm having a hard time understanding why teens not even old enough to drive are roaming all day and into the night. It's one thing to spend time with friends but not showing up for dinner and only coming home to sleep, if that, would be unacceptable here.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• honestly, I wouldn't care where or what they are eating during the summer, they will get back into routine soon. Your question about curfew? Dusk. The only two reasons a teen is out walking after dark is to look for trouble or end up getting hurt.
    hollydaze1974

Answer by hollydaze1974 at 2:10 PM on Jul. 7, 2011