Should brother be forced to stay with Bro with cancer on the 4th of July?

Big Bro (teenager) wants to go out of town with a friend's family for the 4th of July.  Bro(teenager) who is close in age and has cancer cannot go with them and is upset his brother is not going to be around. They are like best pals.  Big Bro is always on the go and has a lot of freedom but this is a holiday.  We are having our own family (Me, my husband, Bro & 9 yr old ) event.   We don't have other family around up here (No grandma & grandpa, cousins, aunts & uncles and ect).  So, should I encourage or insist Big Bro stay home to celebrate the 4th with Bro?

Indakitchen

Asked by Indakitchen at 3:24 AM on Jul. 3, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• The other brother should be encouraged to live his life. What kind of cancer and what is the brother's condition?
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 3:27 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Oh what an awful position to be in for all ((hugs)) I feel for all involved, I see why older bro would want to go and I see why younger bro would want him to stay.......I think the older bro should probably go and as long as younger bro is surrounded by family he will be ok and before you know it big bro will be back.....I think I would leave the decision upto your older son given the circumstances and go with what he decides and maybe he can talk to his younger bro about it also so he may feel better about him leaving. Good Luck with this
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 4:17 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I personally would have my older son stay but then, any holiday is always spent together as a family if possible.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 1:36 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I think older brother deserves freedom but I also think he should spend as much time as possible with lil brother,maybe trying to do more things together. As for me my thought is holidays are family time,brother should stay home. It seems to be a loose-loose situstion,if you fforce the issue he may end up resenting his brother ,he may also feel guilty for not spending time with him if brother gets sicker or passes( not wishing this on u and ur family)
    RobinChristine

Answer by RobinChristine at 2:36 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• He needs to live his life and do things with his friends. Unless your other son is in the final stages, let brother go with is friends.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:35 PM on Jul. 4, 2011