Do you think that just because girls are girls, they need to be spoiled?

It just seems like girls are only hard to raise because parents spoil them more than they would boys. Just a theory.

Imogine

Asked by Imogine at 3:35 AM on Jul. 3, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I don't think girls are harder to raise (I have 3 girls and 3 boys) and I'm not sure what you mean by "spoiled". That's a term that means very different things to different people. I don't think my kids are spoiled, but I don't believe in punishing them so some folks might think they are. We don't overindulge them with toys and such. We do expect good manners from them.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 3:38 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Spoiled as in they get whatever they want if they whine for it.
    Imogine

Comment by Imogine (original poster) at 3:39 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• No I dont think a child should be spoilt because of their sex.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 4:10 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I was not spoiled but my son is by my parents and he was by me until he got bigger. So its not really sex of the child its just the parents. And I don't think their is a particular sex that is harder to raise (boys are harder when their younger and easier when they get older-sometimes, and girls are easier when their younger and harder when they become teenagers). My parents had two girls and my sister was the hard head and I just coasted by, doing nothing, but I had a neighbor with one son who couldn't stay out of trouble. Its not the sex its the parent and what they choose to do. All children should be loved i don't know about spoiled though.
    thelovelymzbre

Answer by thelovelymzbre at 5:16 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Nope I am getting ready to have my fourth girl and my little ones are far from being spoiled. I don't think they are harder to raise just different. And whining also does not fly in out house.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 5:35 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Not all girls are spoiled some have to do just what their brothers have to do and well the same can be said for boys I know just as many spoiled boys as I do girls my brothers were some of them.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 5:57 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I have a boy and a girl and they're pretty close in age. I don't treat them exactly the same, because they aren't the same person (for example, I do things with my ds that he likes but that she hates, and I do stuff with her that would kill him with boredom...)

However, neither of them is more "spoiled" or "pampered" or indulged or anything more than the other one. In fact, my dd helps mow grass, shovel snow, check the oil in the car, etc, and my ds knows how to do laundry, clean bathrooms, do dishes, cook, etc. They BOTH need to know how to function as adults - and that means being well rounded.

I think that giving in all the time when they whine, etc - whether they're a boy or a girl, isn't helping them or raising them to be responsible, mature adults (as opposed to monsters or drama queens..). It's not responsible parenting, regardless of the gender of your kid...
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 6:21 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I don't think so. Then again, I have a son, and he's pretty spoiled, lol. However, I think there's a big difference between being spoiled and being spoiled ROTTEN. I was a spoiled as a child, but I was always kind and appreciative.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 9:50 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I don't think girls should be spoiled anymore than I think a boy should. I mean I don't believe children should be spoiled really at all. i know every now and then I do spoil my children although I don't make a habit out of it. Also I treat my DD like I do my DS. Just because she is a girl does't mean she can't do things and needs to be spoiled.

I give all my children the same attention and love equally it doesn't matter what their sex is.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 10:56 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• No, I don'tthink little girls are spoiled at all. I had two girls and they knew we didn't allow whining or pouting or playing games with us to get what they wanted. It was tough but we stood our ground and they learned that whining wouldn't work. And they had to be self-sufficient...none of the "fair weak Damsel in distress" stuff at our house.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 12:06 PM on Jul. 3, 2011