i need advice from parents that have two or more kids.

I have a two year old and just found out i was preggo we have been trying for months. I would love advice on what to buy strollers, carseats, bottles things like this. Also advice on how my daughter will react to a new baby. what i do so if i go pee for like two seconds, so she wont be able to touch or try to get the baby. Things like this. i love advice and would love yours. please help my husband and i would approtate it so much.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:01 PM on Dec. 15, 2008 in General Parenting

• for stroller, you'll want a double stroller that is one in front of the other, not side by side. the weight difference will make a side by side harder to push and steer.
    Anonymous

• she might be mean at first cause she is use to being the only kid my son was when i had my daughter i didnt buy a double stroller i used the same one my son walked so he didnt need it anymore
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 10:06 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• when I got pregnant with my second baby my daughter was 1 1/2 years old. I was advised to buy her a small pet so she can nurture and care for so that she learns to be nice and gentle to the baby once she fianlly comes. It really worked out. I got her a kitty when I was about 7 months pregnant and she loved her kitty and played with her but really learned to be gentle. I would usually put the baby in her swing and my daughter was told that she could look at her swing but she couldn't touch her or the swing. She was very obidient and listened. It really worked out except for the fact that she didnt like her little sister for along time. When my youngest was 8 months old she finally accepted her. It was really hard though. Give her time and don't force the baby on her.
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 10:11 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I would recommend a double stroller if you plan on going places where the older child would be walking... we made the mistake of going on vacation last year with just one stroller. Fine for the baby, but our 3 yr was so worn out! I'm planning on buying one before we go on vacation next year.

My son was 2 when his brother was born. He actually just ignored him most of the time. For the first few days, he would come look at him and ask when he was going back in my belly! As far as going to the bathroom or anything, I would usually take the bouncer in with me and put the baby in it. He also napped a LOT, so it wasn't too big of a deal to wait until nap time. Not sure what else you want to know, and about to run out of room, so you can pm me with any questions if you want!
    mom2XandZ

Answer by mom2XandZ at 10:14 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• my kids were involved with the pregnancy, birth and everything afterward of their next sibling (i have four)
    i also got them a stuffed animal "from the baby" and helped them pick something out for the baby
    the gift exchange when they "met" their baby brother/sister helped
    they all got along fine and its only now they are starting to not like each other (b10, g8, b7. g4)
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 11:03 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• My son was four when I got pregnant with my second so I was able to use hand me downs from him, but I would reccomend a double stoller and the bigger boy/girl carseat for your 2 yr. old. As for her reaction you could get lucky. I was concerned because my son had been an only child for such a long time, but he was great and is still an awesome big bro.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 2:17 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• My daughters are 20 months apart and the first thing I did was go out and buy a double stroller, don't get the side by side one because they are too hard to manage in the store. There might be some jealousy issues at first but if you include your daughter and let her help take care of the baby it won't be so bad and just make sure she gets some one on one time with you. As far as peeing alone if your able to do it now you will be able to do it with two, if you are worried about her trying to pick up the baby then I would put the baby in a playpen and it won't be an issue.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 5:25 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Double stroller....tandem are easier to use in a store setting, but for walks and such out and about they stink! The kids get whiplash ever time you hit a bump, and you have to "pop" the front up over the bumps. I have a double jogger stroller...side by side. There is NO problem with the weight difference even when my 4 year old and 2 year old are in it (almost 20lb difference). I'd never recommend a tandem stroller to anyone.

Carseats...they will each need their own...not just two seperate lol...they will have different "fits" and that you'll have to work out which one fits them the best. They're generally good for 5 years, so you may be able to pass one down, but I wouldn't plan on it.

The toddler is going to hear "just a minute, the baby needs me" a lot. It happens. So...even if the baby is sleeping, make sure the toddler also hears, "just a minute baby, toddler needs me."

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:01 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Reaction...there's no telling. My oldest was 22 months when number 2 arrived...he didn't want anything to do with that baby! We have very few pictures of the two together because the oldest wouldn't even STAND next to him!! When the third was born, oldest was 33 months...he wanted to hold him, feed him, etc. (the 11 month old wanted NOTHING to do with him...still doesn't and they're 2 and 3! LOL

Hope for the best, but expect the worst in all situations and you'll never be shocked, only pleasantly surprised! LOL
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:03 AM on Dec. 16, 2008