What's the best way to stop breastfeeding?

I'm decreasing how many times I pump/day, but don't want to get clogged milk ducts.

Curious612

Asked by Curious612 at 3:38 AM on Jul. 3, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Very gradually. :D I cut down to one or two feeds a day but don't cut out completely for at least several weeks after doing that.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 3:42 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Its weird to say this but my coworker who is african said that she put either hot sauce or salt on her nipple to turn baby off from it, she said its her customs I see where it would work but just thought it was weird and kind of mean, I would hate to trt and suck a nipple and get a hot sauce taste but she said its effective and that's what they do in her country
    toybar02

Answer by toybar02 at 4:17 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Toybar, you reminded me of Romeo and Juliet:
    When it did taste the wormwood on the nipple
    Of my dug and felt it bitter, pretty fool,
    To see it tetchy and fall out with the dug!

Anyways. I stopped cold-turkey and did fine. massage every other day or so to check for clogs and break them up without milking it.
    kit_manson

Answer by kit_manson at 10:59 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• To avoid clogged ducts and mastitus, it's best to cut out one feeding/pumping every 3 - 4 days. That's how long it takes for your body to adjust to one feeding more or less.
    JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 1:10 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Gradually is the best way for both your body and your baby, so it sounds like you are on the right track. If your baby is under a year old, you will want to replace one nursing session per week with formula or eliminate one pump session per week and use formula for that bottle. If baby is older then a year old, you can just drop one nursing session/pump session per week until finished. How old IS your baby? Don't bind your breasts, as THAT can lead to clogged ducts and mastitis. If you don't mind me asking, why are you weaning? If you don't want to answer that I'm ok with that.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:32 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I just kept cutting back and cutting back. Finally I was only breastfeeding my son a little before nap and bedtime. I just stopped cold turkey when he was 13 months old and didn't have a single problem! No engorgement, no nothing! I was only feeding him so minimally at that point that it didn't make a difference when I stopped all together.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 6:27 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Curious, you're doing PRECISELY as you should. Change nothing.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:39 PM on Jul. 4, 2011