What do you think they'll do?

My ex is 5 months behind on his cs at 118 a week. I afraid they might lock him up persoanlly not to sound like a bitch I don't care but I know it will hurt my daughter.

emtmommyamanda

Asked by emtmommyamanda at 10:02 PM on Dec. 15, 2008 in General Parenting

• GOOD LUCK! My ex has been such a friggin' dead beat that I am ready to write a book informing other dead beats on how to keep getting away with it! JK don't bash! Anyway file a violation and IME (NY) that will make him pay a small amount and the judge will give him more time to pay but he will see that you are serious and not going to let him get away with not paying. Also I know how you feel that it will hurt your daughter but do not feel guilty he made the choice to not pay and he must face the consequences, if he really cared about her he would pay the CS to stay out of jail. Also IME the police will not pick up on just a child support warrant, he has to get pulled over or arrested for something else and when they run the warrant check they will see it, the judge just (unfortunately) confirmed that for me today!
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 10:13 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• some states will lock him up, but others don't because their theory is how can he pay if he's in jail. most start with wage garnishment before arresting.
    Anonymous

• Is the CS court ordered, and is it court dispersed? They might go knocking on his door, so why don't you call and see how they handle this situation? Otherwise, if they don't the IRS will simply hold his refund, if he's due one. That's going to be the BIG issue this year with the IRS. They plan on letting everyone know, if you owe back CS you won't be seeing your refund! I know, b/c i'm a tax preparer. :)
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 10:13 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• my ex-bil owes over 40k in back child support, but still hangs out with (and occasionally crashes with) my sis (they're best friends, just not when they're married to each other), so i don't think the courts will arrest him
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 11:08 PM on Dec. 15, 2008