Not interested in attending family fourth of July gathering?

My bf's family has been pretty sh*tty to me for the past year that we've lived together. Previously his mother lived with us and she wanted to be queen and run him and me and my son, and with all respect I told her that was not happening. Things got completely out of hand and she even tried to fight me, I had to call the cops on her, because my bf repeatedly said he'd told her to leave me alone but there was nothing else really he could do (except put her out-duh). Every time something happened she went back and told his dad which made me look bad, and his family as a whole (mom, dad, brother) refer to me as an outsider, literally they never call me by my name but instead "the outsider". He has gone to his father's house at least 10 times since we have been living together and not once have I gone with him, now his fathers sister is having a family gathering for the fourth. I don't want to go. My family has however been the exact opposite to him, and he's gone to thanksgiving, xmas, birthday dinners, everything everyone knows him. Am I wrong to not want to go. I know he's gonna be upset, when he told me I said I didn't know, but I mean he's done a crappy job of making me feel included and his family is very seclusive so I'd actually rather stay home. Especially with their being a chance of his mother popping up as he says she has at past family events.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:07 AM on Jul. 3, 2011 in Relationships

• Girl, if you don't want to go, knowing the way his family treats you, don't go. Let him know he can go if he wants, and it wont be an issue, but you absolutely don't want to be there. I've been married for 17 years. One of the first things I had to learn is that my husband simply didn't like my family and had no desire to be around them. So if I wanted to see them, I went. :)
    Mom2theboy1994

Answer by Mom2theboy1994 at 11:12 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Well if he wasn't such a little boy about dealing with his family, you wouldn't be in this situation in the first place. He should have stood up to his mother and corrected what she said about you. A lot of the situation is his fault. Tell him that it is your right to enjoy the holiday too. You don't want to go to a party where you are looked down upon and an unwelcome member of the family.
    momofkids

Answer by momofkids at 11:33 AM on Jul. 3, 2011