DOES ANY ONE KNOW ANY WAYS I CAN GET MY 5 YEAR STOP SUCKNG HIS THUMB?

WELL MY SON HAS BEEN SUCKING HIS THUMB SINCE I TOOK HS PACIFER AWAY. AND I CANT GET HIM TO STOP SUCKING HIS THUMB PLZ SOMEONE HELP ME.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:21 AM on Jul. 3, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Coming from someone who's parents made the same attempts, the truth is they will stop sucking their thumb when their ready. My mom tried braces, Tabasco sauce, pepper sauce, all kinds of things, nothing worked...I was determined to suck my thumb and I did until I was in the 6th grade. When I got tired of looking like a baby, I stopped. Never sucked it again. My husband also was the same way and stopped the same way. In time they will stop, I don't know of any methods parents say worked. I sucked my thumb for comfort. I would get regular dentist visits and make sure everything is coming in correctly. And if its not causing a problem, let it be.
    thelovelymzbre

Answer by thelovelymzbre at 5:26 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• As cruel as this may sound... you have to put something like hot sauce or vinegar or mustard on his finger. As long as he doesn't like those things he won't put it in his mouth.
    HappyMomma2832

Answer by HappyMomma2832 at 2:41 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I was a thumbsucker from birth. My mom said that the minute I was born I stuck my thumb in my mouth. My mom was completely cruel about it. I remember her putting cayenne pepper on my thumb, tobasco sauce, she would bite my thumb, etc. NOTHING made me stop sucking my thumb because SHE wanted me to stop. I stopped when I was good and ready. Which was when I was in the 4th grade. Granted I didn't suck my thumb at school because my mom would tell me that they other kids would make fun of me (probably true), but when I was in 4th grade I went to my first sleepover that wasn't family and my mom asked me if I was going to suck my thumb at my friends house.....I didn't. I never did again either.

I still have bad feelings towards my mom for the things she did to me to try to make me stop. I don't recommend that you do those things to your child. It's a comfort thing, that's all. It's not hurting anything right now.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 8:38 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• my 3 yr old is a thumb sucker and although I have considered not so nice ways to stop her from talking to others realize they will still find some way to suck that thumb and until they are ready to stop...... so why traumatize her.....
    serenityspeaks

Answer by serenityspeaks at 11:43 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• They stop on their own
    rinamomof2

Answer by rinamomof2 at 11:53 AM on Jul. 4, 2011