How long did it take you and SO to pick a name for your LO?

tspillane

Asked by tspillane at 6:30 AM on Jul. 3, 2011 in Baby Names

• Ours was simple. They were family names, so we agreed rather quickly. It's with the children that we don't have yet that we're struggling, and I fear that if we're blessed again with another child....it could take a while to agree on something!!!
    DMac08

Answer by DMac08 at 6:54 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• With dd1 we had gotten out of the Dr's and DH said Its a girl and her name is Samantha. (the cool thing is we didn't know what we were having until she was born and he was right :) and with DD2 I chose at about 5 or 6 months. It was either Cecilia or Eleyna but something told me to pick Eleyna :) Both girls have 3 names. Samantha Maura (I LOVE this name) Wynter (she was born on a gloomy dec. day and there had been 7 tornado warnings on the 1 hr ride to the hospital) and Eleyna Isabella (another LOVED name) Estelle (dh liked it and picked it on the way to the hospital :P)
    shortycmlb

Answer by shortycmlb at 6:56 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Well we both easily decided on baby #1 name, but baby #2, I loved the 1st name and he did not really like it, so I told him he could pick the middle name. He waited up until a few days before her due date and was between 2 names he liked, so we did paper rock scissors to choose between the 2. Then like a week after she was born, he was telling everyone how he wishes I had like the name Mae (that's his grandmother's middle name & May was the month she was born). I was soooooooooooo mad b/c I had been wanting to give her that middle name my whole pregnancy and he kept saying no he was going to pick the middle name. I honestly was so upset, I cried, but I'm not going to go to the trouble of going to do the paperwork just to change her name 'cause her birth certificate & SS# is already done. When we decided to have another baby, hopefully its a boy 'cause we have that name pick out. If its a 3rd girl, we're in trouble.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 7:55 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• My son has DH's first name for a middle name because that is what they do in his family, so that was easy. The first name DH didn't really want to discuss until we were in the hospital. He wanted to meet DS first. His adult daughter & I both had lists (like normal people) & had marked what we agreed on. Finally, after DS was born, we decided on a first name.
    Verrine

Answer by Verrine at 8:06 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• It didn't take us long to figure out a girl name because I had known since 9th grade what I wanted my first daughter's name to be. The boy name was a little more difficult. It took us a few months before we decided on a boy name that I now hate... thankfully we ended up having a girl. lol.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 8:52 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• My oldest had her name picked before we were even married or thinking about kids. DH just looked at me and told me that if he ever had a girl he would name her Zoey Jane. My youngest I didn't have a name picked until i saw her on ultrasound and I just said "That's my Abigail Grace" I was 7 months along with her at the time and just knew she would be a girl!
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 9:13 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• For our DD we had it picked out several years in advance. However for a boy we had no idea. We'd thought about it for years too. Kept throwing out names we like but nothing really clicked. 7 months into my pregnancy with DS we finally figured it out.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 10:05 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• with 1st DS we didn't pick his name until we were in the hospital. I thought is was a boy and everyone else thought he was a girl so I had a girls name picked. In the hospital DH was going through the baby names and like Jared so he picked his first name and I picked the middle. With 2nd DS I liked the name Devon and picked it at about 3 months. I said if he was born in March he would be a boy and he was born March 3rd so we have Devon Matthew, DH picked his middle name. with my 3rd DD, DH and I could not agree on a name. I liked a lot of different names and he didn't like any of them. We finally agreed on Jordan and I knew I wanted her middle name to be Elizabeth after my mom, so we have Jordan Elizabeth.

I must say it is never easy picking a name and for me it was about a name that flowed nicely so that if I was angry it sounded good together.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 10:13 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• It's going on 16 weeks! We've known I was pregnant since 3-4 weeks, and we have been thinking of names ever since. We had the boy name 1 week after we found out, but we STILL haven't figured out what we want for a girl, and we are having a girl lol.
    marissax

Answer by marissax at 6:06 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I think I was like 6 months pregnant when we decided. We decided early on Jack Dracon but I was not satisfied with how boring and common Jack was, because I was still convinced it was a girl (wishful thinking). He wanted a boy to be named after him.

When we saw the name Wolf in some movie credits I asked him what he thought and he loved it. I said, "Wolfgang?" and he LOVED it. I was happy because it was unique, hardly ever used in America and I liked the sound and feeling of it, and the plus was that it was an ancestral name.
    Blue_Spiral

Answer by Blue_Spiral at 6:58 PM on Jul. 3, 2011