Breastfeeding Mamas....What did you do once your LO starting getting teeth??

My daughter is starting to teeth now and I can't help but be scared of nursing when she gets her little chompers in... o_O

what did you ladies do?? is there any ways / methods to teach them not to bite??

Emmajosmommy

Asked by Emmajosmommy at 7:40 AM on Jul. 3, 2011 in General Parenting

• Mine is 15 months old and has the full front set of teeth and bottom two with more coming in she is weaning and but she has bitten me just a week ago and yes it hurt but if she is wanting milk then she will focus on nursing if she is in a playing mood i know i have to be careful because that when she bits... and I do agree with the nose pinching i do that get her off but i also fake cry just a little after to let her that hurt mommy not over the top but when i do she has resently started giving me hugs.

Mine is a bitter though... She bits anything and everything so i knew she could bit me....
    good luck and dont let the bitting scare you to much it does hurt but again babies do not understand so just let your baby know that is not ok and if yours is younger ending the nursing session will let her know that if she bits she doesnt get to eat.. :-)
    WAH_Mama

Answer by WAH_Mama at 8:27 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• My son is 10 months old and has 6 teeth! He got his first 2 at 5 months. He never bite me until he had his top and bottom teeth and when he did bite, it did hurt, but I would tell him no and put him down for 5 minutes. He hasnt bit me in awhile now!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 7:43 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• My 1st DD did not bite forever when she had teeth (she got them early), but when she was a year old (I breastfed her until 16 months), she bit twice. Yes it hurt, but I did what the doctor had told me to do...I pinched her nose together so she couldn't breath and she immediately pulled off my nipple. After doing that twice, she never bit again.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 7:49 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• They can't bite and nurse at the same time. When I got bitten, I ended that nursing session for at least 10 minutes. I nursed DD for 21 months and twin DS for 56 months.
    JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 7:57 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• so what if a baby is born with teeth, momofone725? does that mean the baby can go straight to 'regular' food??
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 11:53 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• thank you for your advice and tips!! I appreciate them !! :)
    Emmajosmommy

Comment by Emmajosmommy (original poster) at 7:43 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• and yes.. some babies are born with teeth and others get them shortly after birth.. so I guess they shouldn't nurse??...interesting.
    Emmajosmommy

Comment by Emmajosmommy (original poster) at 7:44 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I just continued to nurse. The teeth aren't a problem if the latch is correct. IF they do bite, you tell them firmly, no bite, and take them off the breast for that feeding. Continue this a couple of times and baby WILL get the message- bite,and meal time is over.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:54 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• biologically, in ALL mammals, teeth means they're ready to stop nursing
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 9:03 AM on Jul. 3, 2011