Severely clogged sinuses...

Anybody get this? Do you have any good remedies? I feel like banging my head into a wall it hurts so much!

hotmama404

Asked by hotmama404 at 9:02 AM on Jul. 3, 2011 in Health

• I aint tried it yet but people swear by those sinus rinses. I haven't found an allergy or sinus med yet that works completely good.
    Cenedra64

Answer by Cenedra64 at 9:11 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Have you tried a Nesti Pot?
    MamawWalker

Answer by MamawWalker at 9:13 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I feel your pain!!

I have terrible sinuses & even when the weather changes, I get clogged up. Get some Mucinex - it is a mucus thinner (yuck), but it really does work. Just make sure you drink lots of water so it works well.

When I'm having a lot of sinus trouble, I use a Neti Pot. Again, kind of gross, but it really helps.

The best things I've found are Advil Cold & Sinus and Nasonex nasal spray (prescription). Both help with the swelling that causes sinus congestion. Good luck!
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 9:13 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Another thing to try is getting a humidifier for the house and elevate your head so that your sinuses don't get clogged. You can't use the neti pot when you can't breathe through your nose. Drink hot liquids or spicy foods will help clear out your sinuses as well.
    amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 10:23 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• Thanks guys, I've been doing the netipot and it's not working. Funny thing, I can breathe, sometimes through both nostrils. I have to get deeper. I am trying a home remedy of tomato juice, hot sauce, garlic, and lemon juice. I HATE spicy, but I am desperate. I have two young kids so anything that might make me drowsy is kinda out of the question. I'm trying to do this without dosing myself up on meds.
    hotmama404

Comment by hotmama404 (original poster) at 10:42 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• If you want to attack your plugged sinuses with food, get some wasabi. When ever I have sushi, I mix a little dollop of wasabi in a little soy sauce and dip the sushi in that before eating it. The wasabi opens sinuses I didn't know I had.

Also, with the sinus rinse: when I'm really plugged up, I add a couple of drops of a nasal spray decongestant to the warm saline water. I don't like to use those too much, but when used only occasionally, they really work well. GL
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 2:40 PM on Jul. 3, 2011

• If you are already clogged, a neti pot may not help that much since you aren't able to drain properly. You could try an oral decongestant - it won't make you sleepy, and it won't give you the rebound congestion you get with the decongestant nasal sprays. Next time use the neti pot when you first feel the symptoms coming on.
    katiemomNY

Answer by katiemomNY at 10:37 PM on Jul. 3, 2011